Wooden Bridge


Advertisement
Published: August 23rd 2010
Edit Blog Post

We spent a very leisurely morning and left the park around noon. Just when we thought we were growing webs between our toes and moss behind our ears, we awoke to a glorious blue sky and, believe it or not, sunshine! We might have to dig out our, (what do you call them?) sunglasses. Maybe Daisy’s bed s will get dry. This park closes on September 8th for the winter. It starts to snow here shortly after that. At first I thought, oh, they stay open until after Labor Day. Then I remembered this is Canada. Do they have Labour Day?
Most of the RV parks here and in Alaska stay open from mid-May to mid -September, according to their ads.
We saw a couple of interesting signs today -
Bridges For Sale or Rent
Pub For Sale - Wife Included

We took a short detour to see the Kiskatinaw River Bridge. Sorry you didn’t see it, Jan. It was interesting. It’s 531 feet long and is the only original timber bridge built along the Alaska Highway that’s still in use. It curves and is also canted. It’s quite the structure, but the actual highway bypasses this bridge now.
We ate lunch at an A&W. We’ve noticed that American brand names in Canada don’t necessarily taste like the same brand name at home. (Rich’s favorite Canadian brand is Shreddies, a breakfast cereal.) Anyway, the meat tasted like buffalo meat or reindeer and the ketchup was very sweet.

Here we are, back on the prairie. We saw some sort of grouse by the road. There are a couple of grass/grain crops that we don’t recognize. One get gets baled up. We wonder what they are.
We found another nice Provincial campground next to a river. It was a peaceful night, AND it was DARK.



Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.202s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 49; dbt: 0.1001s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb