Just a few updates and photos


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » Alberta » Canmore
June 23rd 2010
Published: June 23rd 2010
Edit Blog Post

Birdseye viewBirdseye viewBirdseye view

Andrew's and my bike looking very clean from above. Thanks to Clint for the photo!
Well I've been a bit slack in posting entries over the last few weeks so I thought it's time to bring you up to speed.

June the 12th & 13th was a wonderful hot weekend spent at the Stoney Nakoda Casino (no I don't gamble) where the tent was pitched and about 500 motorcycles from around Alberta convened for the Annual Ride for Sight. It really was a great weekend containing "all things motorcycle" and free camping as well. On the Saturday evening we even had the pleasure of listening to Chilliwack play live for us. I actually dug out my old tent from the UK and managed to get everything on the bike easily (photo attached?). I must convey my thanks to Andrew, the General Manager of the Casino (and bike nut too) as well as Chuck Holmstrom, the organizer of the Ride for Sight Alberta for a simply wonderful weekend. It was also really great seeing you guys in the dunk-tank too....some of those kids are really good throwers!

Last Saturday june 20th was also great. Matt & Karen from Canmore Quad Tours have been kind enough to sponsor me by way of offering me some tent
June 19th Canmore Street fairJune 19th Canmore Street fairJune 19th Canmore Street fair

We were set up at 09:00. Huge thanks to Canmore Quad Tours for the space in their tent.
space at the Canmore street fair each month where I can coerce innocent bystanders into donating toward the Heart & Stroke Foundation. They also made up a really great poster about the trip for the public to read. I think we raised about $200 last Saturday and had a chance to talk to some marvellous people from time to time about bikes, strokes and life in general. Huge thanks to Canmore Quad Tours for this. Anyone coming to Canmore should book themselves on the new Heli -Quad-Raft tour they have just set up. It looks like a heck of a day out!

Planning/preparation for the trip........er, well I haven't had too much time recently but I am about to turn that all around. Next week I shall buy a "rocket stick" from Bell Canada so that I can get internet reception up north for the blogs. I also had a bit of warranty work diagnosed for the GS as well in the form of a starter motor dragging after start up. BMW Canada have kindly offered to replace the whole starter motor soon. I have also ordered new brake pads from my good friends Triple NC Auto here in
Home sweet homeHome sweet homeHome sweet home

What I do best. Motorcycling and Camping at the Stoney Nakoda Casino Alberta. This was the "Ride for Sight" weekend
Canmore (just in case I wreck a set up there) and also a set of shaft drive seals as well. This purchase is based upon reviews and news that these seals tend to be problematic on the GS1200 (hope I don't need to use them). After looking at the weather forecast for Prudhoe Bay this week I think I'm in for a cold spell up there. This week is supposed to see highs of 3 degrees only. Oh well, I chose Prudhoe for this year's trip so no one else to blame but me I guess!
The weekend of July the third wil be the date that the GS heads to Anderwerks in Calgary to see Dave. He'll be fitting the road tires (Dunlop Trailwings......I know what you're thinking Dave!) and giving the bike a 20,000km service before my attempt to wreck the bike up north. If you're reading this and own a BMW, go see Dave if you're passing through Calgary. He runs a magical place!
Anyway...it's late and I really should be in bed.
Talk again soon.........Nevil


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

Ride for SightRide for Sight
Ride for Sight

We even had a Police escort from Calgary to the Casino.


Tot: 0.083s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 50; dbt: 0.054s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb