Calgary


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » Alberta » Calgary
September 16th 2006
Published: September 26th 2006
Edit Blog Post

In our attempt to get out of the cold we sent out an SOS and lucky for us Laela & Jordan, (Sister & Nephew of Liz who has the misfortune of going out with Danny) came to our rescue!

We only intended to stay for a couple of nights but to be truthful we were getting looked after so well we really didn't want to leave.

After having a guided tour of the premises by Jordan we settled down for a night infront of the TV and with Jordan being a film buff and a horror fan we watched the 1st Friday the 13th movie - Lillooet lake!!

The next day was a big day for me....it was haircut day!! Laela had made it quite clear that she wasn't prepared for guests of hers to bring down the tone of the neighbourhood!! I had spoken to Jo the night before and decided to have it thinned out and that was it, Sampson and his locks kinda thing. LOOK WHAT THEY DID TO ME!! This Italian guy who looked and spoke a lot like an Iranian (but supported Chelsea!!) took a real pleasure in taking his clippers to my beautiful curly locks. I think he thought I was American!!

Meanwhile, Jo had her hair done as well. I think you'll agree. no disasters there.

When we returned home Jordan took me out for a walk around the local park. Well more like a bush tucker trek through the wilds of Griffith Provincal Park. After scaling a few fences, traversing across some fallen trees to cross a river I was told that " I wasn't doing bad for an old man"!! Cheeky!! I soon warmed to him after that, we had a lot in common and we spent some quality time competing over skimmers. I think Jordan edged it by a couple of skips, but I did manage an impressive skip that bounced high of the bank on the opposite side of the river....toushe!!

After another home cooked meal (butter chicken - one of our favs from the eastern eye!) and a good nights sleep we were chauffered into downtown Calgary for a bit of sight seeing.

The unique thing about downtown Calgary is the shops, they're all inside. Strange you may think, so are ours!! But these are different. Because of the extreme cold temperatures of the winters here they're all connected by flyover walk ways, so in affect you never need to go outside!! The malls were great and it took us most of the day to get round the many outlets on show. The English store in Eau Claire Market was a particular favourite and no Jo didn't start crying at the sight of Walkers cheese & onion crisps, we have made some progress over the weeks!!

That evening we met up with Laela & Jordan downtown at the Japanese Village. A dining experience recommended by Jordan and what turned out to be a very memorable one at that, particularly for Jo!! For it was Jo's birthday for the night!! Not only did we enjoy the food which was cooked right infront of us by a comical Japanese chef (straight out of Takeshi's Castle!!) but they had a special ritual for birthday people!!

Poor Jordan, as they approached the table I legged it and left him to do the honours of dressing up in a Japanese costume and dancing a jig with Jo. He did a fine job, so much so that I suspect that he may have done it before!!
Jordan looking cool in Griffith National ParkJordan looking cool in Griffith National ParkJordan looking cool in Griffith National Park

That was until he ripped a massive whole in his pants!!


After being given a great send off and a fine meal of Shrimp and Chicken we were given one last shot of the city. We were taken to the local cementary!! Joking! well it was above it!! On a bridge that looked back over an illuminated city scape that we'll both recall when we think of Calgary.

We have to give our thanks again to Laela and Jordan who were both the best hosts you could ask for and would gladly return the favour and welcome you both to stay with us when you next visit England.

Oh and how could we forget!! Haz-Mat the miniature greyhound. A special thank you to you our little friend. The best morning wake up call you can imagine. Be it a dive bomb from the back of the sofa or being licked to death in a frenzied act of love he was a real diamond.






Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement



27th September 2006

Calgary looks cool, love the Joey tomatoes!! No opinion on the hair though Ben, you need to add a photo in which you're not wearing a hat so we can see what it looks like. Jo looks gorgeous as ever of course ;-)
3rd October 2006

CALGARY
Guys, so glad you enjoyed visiting my sister and my nephew, they had fun too. Ben, hair looks great, my sister is even more bossy than me - if that's possible !!!!!

Tot: 0.043s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.021s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb