Banff in Fogtember!!


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » Alberta » Banff
September 15th 2006
Published: September 23rd 2006
Edit Blog Post

On the way to Banff we nearly missed one of our stops. It was -4 again and we had driven straight past the Columbia Icefield Centre. The Icefields are immense and feed some 400 glaciers. It's so huge I can't believe we had driven straight past it!! Once we had stopped, we got out the car and had a good look. We could see these tiny dots moving around. The tiny dots were snow mobiles the size of buses! They were busy giving tourist the opportunity of walking on the Athabasca Glacier. After watching the promotional video we decided that the $140 was a little pricey for what appeared to be a glum look on most of the lucky tourists faces.

After a quick look round the centre and a hot chocolate we headed back up the highway. The Icefields were amazing the scenery just huge and imposing.

Before we got to Banff we took in Lake Louise. This is a big crowd puller and even though we are coming into low season it was packed out with tourists. The view is so impressive when you walk clear of the forest that you forget about the hoards of people
Athabasca GlacierAthabasca GlacierAthabasca Glacier

See the little dots half way up on the left and to the bottom right!!
mulling around taking photos.

We found a quite spot on the edge of the lake and had a picnic....NICE!!

By the time we got to Banff the weather had closed in and it was submerged in fog and raining heavily, just like home!

We found some accomodation easily and after having a walk round the town we got some food and headed for our urban cabin for a home cooked meal and some TV (Corrie was on!!)

Next day there was no change in the weather so we decided to cut our stay in Banff short and head to Calgary.....well that was after we took another trip into town to buy Joey some warm clothes and have a ten hour tour of the Christmas Shop...again!!

On our way out we stopped off at the Hoodoos (natural spirals structures of silt & sand) and took a short walk along the hill tops of the valley.


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement

Brewster Buses!!Brewster Buses!!
Brewster Buses!!

After that comment about the Grizzly, I always thought you looked like the backend of a bus!!


23rd September 2006

Gald to see you two are having such a great time, pics look fantastic! Liverpool just beat Spurs 3-0 and are now in 5th spot - thought you'd like to know ;-)
23rd September 2006

Branching out...
Didn't you know mate, we been running coach tours over there for years, little side line line ;-). Keep up the journals mate, lovin 'em, will know in 3-4 weeks if Claire gets Vegas flight in November xxx

Tot: 0.167s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 34; qc: 111; dbt: 0.12s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.3mb