Calgary Parklands - Cochrane Paths


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » Alberta » Calgary
June 4th 2021
Published: August 28th 2022
Edit Blog Post

Glenbow Ranch natural terrainGlenbow Ranch natural terrainGlenbow Ranch natural terrain

Parkland west of Calgary, before Cochrane
While I inadvertently explored the roads west of Calgary, the group walked in the gentle green parks of Cochrane. From the Cochrane Ranche parking lot, it was simple to take the path under the 1-A highway and the railway, and follow along the gurgling course of Big Hill Creek.

An impressive underpass took the walkers safely across Highway 22, to stride beside the fast-flowing Bow River, high with spring run-off. Thick with puffy white clouds, the Alberta blue sky gave its colour to the water. Along side Jumping Pound Creek, the path turned from its westward direction to head south and eventually to a way back into the town’s beloved parks, filled with families and local walkers.

In a quiet moment, a yearling deer unconsciously displayed its downy self, still warmed with remnants of winter fur, even on this delightfully warm day. Birds twittered, well-hidden by the abundant bright green foliage. A family of Canada Geese busied themselves with snatching food from the natural landscape. A Raven ignored observers as it conducted its all-too-thorough ablutions.

Reunited at our socially-distanced lunch, we extolled the most beautiful day yet this year.


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

Meander Zone, Cochrane Meander Zone, Cochrane
Meander Zone, Cochrane

Quiet park near the highway
Big Hill Creek Big Hill Creek
Big Hill Creek

Burbling through a small meadow
William Camden Park William Camden Park
William Camden Park

Expansive park for families
Willow complemented by dandelions Willow complemented by dandelions
Willow complemented by dandelions

A natural study in green and yellow
Buffalo beans Buffalo beans
Buffalo beans

Beautiful, complex flowers heralding spring


28th August 2022

Further to the previous discussion, in just 2 months (I think) we've gone from brown to full-on green. You'd think winter and the dreary transition from winter to spring had never happened. Love the featured shot and the meandering creek.
4th September 2022

Spring transition
So hard to remember one season when the next one changes the views. I try to remember summer days during the winter - only mildly successful.

Tot: 0.08s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 7; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0574s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb