Calgary Parklands - Springbank


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » Alberta » Calgary
June 11th 2021
Published: July 11th 2022
Edit Blog Post

Dorothy invited our group to gather at her home. Each of us chose one of three walks: Ranching Country, Woodlands and Mountain Views.

To the south of Lower Springbank Road was the “Alberta Ranch Habitat – Open Space Zone”. Bright sun illuminated the rolling landscape from the grassy fields to the shining mountains. A classic red-roofed barn and out-buildings stood out in the verdant spring growth. Warmth and calm led us along the gravel road, leading to the homestead of the historic Colpitts Ranches , established in 1921. While no people were about, a horse in a far field heard us and long-stared in a curious, perhaps challenging pose. Birds twittered everywhere, yet we only saw a few – fluttering quickly from post to grass, keeping out of sight of a hawk soaring in the thermals.

With even more beautiful mountain views, fresh with new snow, Embankment Road led east out of the valley to the heights behind, a bit of unusual elevation. Ever-more stunning photos almost captured themselves in the clear light of the sky’s dome. In the scattering of bushes and low trees, a blue-bird posed momentarily, delighting the walkers.

To the north a quieter environment enticed
Alberta Ranch Habitat Alberta Ranch Habitat Alberta Ranch Habitat

All the way to the mountains
those not afraid to get their boots muddy in the stream across the path. (As it happened, the stream was low and mud mostly dried.) Glades dappled by fluttering leaves lowered our eyes to the tiny scenes of nature. Happily, Dee had brought her cheerful dog, Toby, who bounced and ran – an unselfconscious source of laughter for all.

On a shady patch of Dorothy’s lawn, we spaced our lawn chairs and munched on sandwiches and her moist home-made berry cake – glad for our time of community.


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

Snow-capped Rocky Mountains Snow-capped Rocky Mountains
Snow-capped Rocky Mountains

Alberta Ranch Habitat
Bluebird house Bluebird house
Bluebird house

Community effort to increase the numbers of birds
Colpitts RanchesColpitts Ranches
Colpitts Ranches

Modern ranch in a traditional life
Cattle, grass fedCattle, grass fed
Cattle, grass fed

Colpitts Ranches
Danysk Creek, Springbank Danysk Creek, Springbank
Danysk Creek, Springbank

Trickling water in a lush landscape
Buttercups with blown dandelionButtercups with blown dandelion
Buttercups with blown dandelion

Natural prairie flowers


12th July 2022

Love your two photos with mountains, especially the one in the body of the post (Alberta Ranch Habitat). That's beautiful country west of Calgary and you've captured it well.
19th July 2022

Springbank
Amazing how a short distance will move one away from the highway into spectacular landscapes.

Tot: 0.086s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0523s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb