Calgary Parklands - Griffith Woods


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » Alberta » Calgary
May 7th 2021
Published: August 22nd 2022
Edit Blog Post

Wood Violets Wood Violets Wood Violets

Spring in tiny packages
Three groups of four walkers each set off at intervals to make up our city walk this week. In Griffith Woods, autumn surrounded us: dried grass, bare trees, traces of old snow, hidden animals. Only tiny Wood Violets twinkled spring colour.

The excellent path, groomed but natural, cherished our feet for most of the way west along multiple strands of the Elbow River. The still water shone with reflections of treed vistas and sculptural bushes. Everywhere Red Osier Dogwoods shared their bright red branches. In the quiet reaches of the river, mallards slowly drifted and dipped for underwater plant-life.

For indiscernible reasons, park maintenance entailed the felling of many trees, some for making the path, but others for purposes left to our imaginations and mildly curious conversation. The trees were left to disintegrate naturally, undoubtedly making homes for innumerable insects, plants and small animals.

Other walkers in the park greeted us with good cheer, seemingly pleased that we were with them in spirit. Dogs, from small to large, kept their owners moving at a good pace. We noticed signs that seemed to dictate that dogs on leashes were not allowed to go faster than ten kilometres an hour!


Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement

Griffith Woods Griffith Woods
Griffith Woods

Path through the trees
Deadfall Deadfall
Deadfall

Home for woodland animals
Red Osier Dogwood Red Osier Dogwood
Red Osier Dogwood

Bright colour in a brownish season
Deadfall Deadfall
Deadfall

Planned cuts
Beaver lodge Beaver lodge
Beaver lodge

Happy use of wood
Pair of mallards Pair of mallards
Pair of mallards

in the undergrowth
Tree burls Tree burls
Tree burls

Intriguing shapes
Confusing signs Confusing signs
Confusing signs

or is it a list?


22nd August 2022

Well, there's this to be said for that time of year: you can see well into the woods, and the shapes of things stand out. It's impressive how quickly it "flips" into visible spring. Love the signs.
28th August 2022

Spring
Our walks and taking photos have made me understand spring more in my own home town.

Tot: 0.054s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 26; dbt: 0.0358s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb