Misnomer


Advertisement
Bermuda's flag
North America » Bermuda
September 29th 2008
Published: September 29th 2008
Edit Blog Post

View from Sunshine CanyonView from Sunshine CanyonView from Sunshine Canyon

from Colleen and Ian's deck across the valley outside Boulder
Day 90- Saturday

Our trip to Boulder has been booked as long as our overall package...for the purpose of visiting Connie's number three sister...Colleen, mother of Kat, whose company we enjoyed in Chicago and then Boston. Connie merely said that it was a university town near Denver , perhaps similar to Armidale. All I could imagine was a single rock, presumably in the middle of no-where, like a desert.

How wrong could we be! After flying across the praries, with only occasional signs of activity we reached the airport. In the distance ahead, we could see the Rocky Mountains. Collen collected us from a state of the art airport, definitely the best so far and transported us 25 miles, about 40 minutes along a freeway, bypassing Denver itself. Connie's prediction was correct...a charming town. A population of about 100 000 with 30 000 students in a world famous university. Everything was of managable size...lots of cyclists and pedestrians. Quite unlike anywhere else in the USA. A delightful town centre with a farmers market and beautiful streetscape.

Colleen also drove us up a couple of the canyons before taking us , late in the afternoon up Sunshine Canyon, where she and Ian, her husband live . As we ascended higher, we were amazed at the magnificence of the scenery. It is something like a National Park. She casually pointed out the clearing where she had enciuntered a huge brown bear a few months ago. There are also wolves and mountain lions! We hope these creatures are a bit like sharks at Sydney beaches..you have to be aware of them but the odds are nothing like those of riding in a car.

They live in a beautiful cabin, high up in the canyon (7 miles from the town, up the unsealed road ) with a superb deck complete with hot tub( spa bath) overlooking the whole valley and across the prarie to Denver, far away in the distance. After walking around and taking photos we spent the next few hours in the tub, drinking wine and mineral water and talking as we watched the twilight give way to complete darkness with unfamiliar constellations. In due course we emerged, ate dinner and went to bed in a lovely rom complete with skylight panels through which I could see stars and pine trees.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.128s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 10; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0632s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb