A wonder of the Ancient World


Advertisement
Turkey's flag
Middle East » Turkey
April 10th 2010
Published: June 22nd 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 37.96, 27.35

The shipped docked at Kusadasi on the Turkish coast. Once on land we hopped in a local taxi which took us to Ephesus. Our driver dropped us at the top of the city and we walked down through it and he met us at the other end. Some do it the other way but why walk uphill? There are a multitude of stalls at either end selling souvenirs and "genuine" fake watches! Ephesus is a massive well preserved city and it is impressive to walk along the original streets and see the Celsus library (135 BC), The Grand theatre (3AD), where St Paul preached and even the communal loos! Sitting on the loo is an obvious photo call for some! It is extra to see the recently restored terrace houses and we didnt go in but I heard later that this was a really good place to visit. Just think that St.Paul sat somewhere in this town and wrote his letter to the Ephesians.Once again we were lucky with the weather as it wouldnt be as good in the rain.
On the way back our driver took us to see the remaining column from the original Temple of Artemis which had a heron's nest on top. As always when we hire a driver there is the usual visit to a shop so that he can get extra commission for taking us there. This time it was a carpet shop. We saw the ladies weaving the carpets and were served apple tea while the chaps rolled out one carpet after another- all gorgeous and pricey. Eventually our friends bought one as the colours were just right. After we sat outside having beer with the sales chaps discussing politics and football.



Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement



Tot: 0.059s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 8; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0369s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb