Turkey 1 - Istanbul - Day 1 A good traveller has no fixed plans and is not intent on arriving / From home to the airport /the Aspire Lounge /Business class


Advertisement
Turkey's flag
Middle East » Turkey » Marmara » Istanbul
April 6th 2024
Published: April 12th 2024
Edit Blog Post

A good traveller has no fixed plans and is not intent on arriving . A quote from some while ago from Lao Tzu put away for a day it could be used . Today seemed that day .

Day 1 or just the day before travel . We are counting down . The boarding opens in 1 hour 42 mins . We are pacing about as you cannot get further away from motorhoming than this holiday . For the first time I had to find something other than Europe to put in the continent . Turkey did not come up in Europe nor Asia but was lurking in Middle East . We printed off our boarding cards, put them safely away and made all our last minute plans for the trip.

Day 2 - the day of travel . It started off much the same way as it would if we were in the van. We woke far too early . Unable to sleep there was little point in staying in bed . Our driver Lee had confirmed yesterday that he would pick us up at 6.15. Probably far too early but you never can tell what the traffic to Manchester Airport will be like. Given this is the first time we have flown since 2010 I am sure things will have changed at the airport and we will have little idea where we going or what we will be doing. It will be very much trial and error . The roads were empty and conversation flew between us and Lee who supports both Wrexham and Liverpool . He found us Gate 3 which was the entrance for Turkish Airways. The was a bit of milling around inside but with our boarding cards printed we could skip the booking in desks . We had only hand luggage so that too gave us the advantage of skipping the queues . We followed the signs for security which was well signposted . We zigzagged up and down the barrrier lanes before arriving at the security gate. Placing our boarding card on the scanner we were allowed to check in . Coats stripped off and placed flat in the trays . Luggage piled into another tray . Watches left on, belt removed , hearing aids left in . We went straight through . Nothing pinged and we were allowed to move on to the business lounge and then passport control . I imagine it would be much busier in high season but today it was a quick process moving from one area to another .

The Aspire Lounge was a touch dated as was the whole of the airport . There were soft chairs with views of the runways . We sat in the quiet zone . The food was pretty good with the exception of the coffee which was truly awful . There was a choice of cooked breakfasts , fruit , juices and breads and croissants . A good selection all free as we were in business class . Would we use the lounge again . If we were business class then the answer would probably be yes . Would I pay £40 for the pleasure . Not sure about that one .

It was raining outside . A typical Manchester day . I began to read the next Last Kingdom. I had expected free newspapers but found none . It did become a touch noisy when some young lads turned up in the quiet zone and were anything but quiet .

At 9.15 the rain stopped and the sun began to peek through. We watched the planes landing but we were getting bored by this time . We were called at 9.55 . The flight was running late . The plane had arrived from Istanbul late so our flight out had been delayed . We headed off for Gate 29. The staff there were truly miserable and seemed unhappy in their work . We were told to sit and wait until they called us to board the plane . Business class were called first . It was a long walk down the tunnel to the plane . We were welcomed on board but the cabin staff who all seemed happy in their work. There were only around 6 people in business class and we were sat in seats 2E and 2F. The economy seats at the back of the plane began to fill up. It seemed as if the entire Muslim community of Manchester were boarding to return home for Eid . We stopped counting the passengers after a while . So what was business class like .12 seats all much larger than usual . Two in a row rather than three . Leather seats with back rests and pillows . It was all very sociable . Calming music played in the background as people were ushered to their seats . I had hopes to watch Oppenheimer on the way out but that was not available on the inflight entertainment . So I contented myself people watching and plane watching whilst waiting to take off .

Take off was the usual affair . Lots of noise , speed and the plane banking over Manchester. The route appeared on our screens . We were at 10,070 feet and climbing . I loved every minute of it. Trying to take photographs of the Peak District and Sheffield below us . We crossed the Wash and hit land again in Holland . By this time we were almost at 33,000 feet levelling off and above the clouds. Our speed was reaching 820 km a hour and the temperature outside minus 63C. Halfway through the flight we were offered our first wine of the trip . A small bottle of red wine to go with breakfast . Breakfast was served on a tray and on white porcelain plates . We were now over Krakow . Our breakfast comprised of cold meats, a variety of cheeses , fresh fruit , orange juice , a turkish porridge, olives followed by an omlette .

We entered Turkish airspace and 4 and a half hours after leaving Manchester we were flying over Black Sea and landing in the new Istanbul airport . Disembarking was extremely efficient and quick . The airport is extremely modern and sprawling but well signposted . We used the business class passport control . All the modern technology was brought into play .

Our next stop was gate 15 where we had to search out our transport to the Old City which was 45 minutes away . Easier said than done . Although we had full directions there seemed to be a melee of people trying to get taxis to the city . We did eventually find the right company but had to wait for a taxi to arrive . To be fair that went well as we sped from the airport to the Dosso Dossi Old City hotel .

We picked the hotel for its closeness to Sultanhamet where all the major sites are situated . The hotel was fine . Our room was much like any city hotel room . Fairly small, decent bathroom , no view from the windows . A safe and a tv available . Room service available . It was a quiet hotel . Breakfast was at 7.30 and ended at 10.30 . There was a restaurant but that appeared closed . Coffee and tea were available . Everything was functional and was fine for a few days stay .

First thoughts on the city . Extremely busy . Extremely noisy . Easy to pay for purchases as most places accepted euros . Many money changes on every street . Tomorrow is going to be a busy day with a lot of walking ahead of us . So the day ended listening to the imans shouting the devout to prayer. Istanbul looks an extremely interesting city .

Advertisement



12th April 2024

Istanbul
Excellent!! Can't wait to see where you go and what you see!!
13th April 2024

Istanbul
We did a lot of the things we wanted to do but some like the Archaelogical museum and the great palace mosaics were closed for renovation . Bit of a bummer but we did know before we chose the date to travel . What I had not factored in was Eid . Holidays for three days and many places shut up shop for the holiday .
13th April 2024

Istanbul
What a shame that it is Eid and so many places are shut! But you will still have unique experiences!! I dont think we had any problems with food, it was certainly very cheap when we were there! I know we went to the fish market below the bridge where everyone fished!! Enjoy!!

Tot: 0.04s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 9; qc: 23; dbt: 0.019s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb