Byzantium


Advertisement
Middle East » Turkey » Marmara » Istanbul » Sultanahmet
April 9th 2016
Published: April 9th 2016
Edit Blog Post

We spent the day visiting Topkapi Palace and the Archaeology Museum. Since it was Saturday, we were a little concerned about the crowds being a terrorist target, but there was tight security to get onto the Palace grounds and more to get into the Museums. A helicopter was even circling over head. When we got back home tonight, we discovered that we had missed seeing a State Department warning: "Th... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 37, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

The chain!The chain!
The chain!

The Byzantine Empire had walls built along the shoreline to protect the city of Constantinople from naval attacks. At the entrance to the Horn on the northern side, a large chain was pulled across from Constantinople to the old Tower of Galata to prevent unwanted ships from entering. Known among the Byzantines as the Megàlos Pyrgos (meaning "Great Tower" in Greek), this tower was largely destroyed by the Latin Crusaders during the Fourth Crusade in 1204. In 1348, the Genoese built a new tower nearby which they called Christea Turris (Tower of Christ), now called Galata Tower. There were three notable times when the chain across the Horn was either broken or circumvented. In the 10th century the Kievan Rus' dragged their longships out of the Bosphorus, around Galata, and relaunched them in the Horn; the Byzantines defeated them with Greek fire. In 1204, during the Fourth Crusade, Venetian ships were able to break the chain with a ram. In 1453, Ottoman Sultan Mehmed II, having failed in his attempt to break the chain with brute force, instead used the same tactic as the Rus'; towing his ships across Galata over greased logs and into the estuary.



10th April 2016
Ceiling decoration inside Topkapi Palace Museum

Spring time in Turkey
I love the details in the Topkapi palace with all of those incredible tiles everywhere and the jewel room (when I was there, a cradle and a throne of emeralds blew me away). How great to be there in spring for the flowers! I visited Turkey in the 90s when the US and European governments were warning not to go as a result of Kurdish bombings in Istanbul. However, it was fabulous--security had been stepped up, there were fewer tourists, I had a hostel dorm to myself, everyone was happy to see me, and there were no lines in the Topkapi Palace, one of my favorite places ever. You probably are more in danger of being hit by a car at home. Thanks for the Yeats!

Tot: 0.111s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 11; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0787s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb