June 27th Kusadasi & Ephasus


Advertisement
Turkey's flag
Middle East » Turkey » Aegean » Ephesus
June 28th 2015
Published: June 28th 2015
Edit Blog Post

We're parked under a tree for shade which has the tiniest of flowers which readily fall off in the breeze. When we went out this morning the chairs looked like they had a covering of snow. We now have the awning out...



Off we walked to catch the dolmus (taxi minibuses) from town to Ephasus. We asked the way to the bus station & the chap flagged down a bus & said he'll take you & will put you on the right bus for Ephasus. We set off & 5 minutes later he was banging his horn & waving at a bus on the other side of the road who stopped, we got off one, paid him then jumped on the other & we arrived at Ephasus 15 minutes later having nearly knocked a motorcyclist off his bike. You could see the amphitheatre way before we arrived – it's massive.



We walked up the road to the site, declined a horse & cart ride up to the top gate, then declined guides/books/Turkish Delight etc as we walked the gauntlet to the entrance. These places seem to get bigger & better a we travel north. The site is over a very large area & is just amazing! The whole thing was covered with soil & rocks after a big earthquake c. 100 years ago. A team of Austrian archaeologists was engaged to sort it out & what a tremendous job they did – they pieced together fair amount too. The library facade was also rebuilt . 20 years ago. The amphitheatre held 25, 000 people in it's time – the scale is immense. St.Paul preached here in c.52 AD before going off to Corinth. Lots of thunder this afternoon ...





Caught 2 dolmus back home, passing the basilica of John the Baptist – neither of us realised the amount of history that made here - & had a very late lunch. We then celebrated our 34 year anniversary with a home-made dinner & a bottle of champers that we'd carried for over 2 months just for the occasion. It started to rain & got relatively cool with the forecast for more showers in the night


Additional photos below
Photos: 38, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



28th June 2015

Great Updates - Looks Fabulous!
Keep them coming great news and photos! Safe journey

Tot: 0.303s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 42; dbt: 0.0675s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb