Doing very little in Doha.


Advertisement
Qatar's flag
Middle East » Qatar » Doha
October 9th 2019
Published: October 9th 2019
Edit Blog Post

Plan A has well gone. The heat or something has got Lee a bit and despite the fact she slept quite well last night she’s having a little snooze as I type, swim, type, swim, doing nothing, type, swim... As much as the heat, and the ‘feels like’ temperature has risen above 40 degrees, I think just knowing we head home from here means Lee is thinking about that and about winding down rather than getting that last little bit out of the experience. I was planning to go the Museum again and then to ‘village and pearl’ but that too may need to be reconsidered. Not a big problem as it is more than OK by the pool. The complex of hotels, I think there are 9, sends as to number 5 as our hotel, a different one for breakfasts and to number 6, a different one again for a swim. Each specialises in a different cuisine so it’s possible to see a lot of these places.

Breakfast is a big deal here. As expansive as we have seen on our travels but very good. The quality of the ingredients is very good and the staff are receptive and helpful. Because it gets hot so quickly here we tend to linger longer over breakfast but that is easy. There are 6 pots of Arabic dishes, another 6 of Indian, heaps of dips, fruits, pastries, olives (of course), vegetables, waffles, pancakes and an excellent selection of breads. In the pastry selection I manage to specialise in those with almond and I still have a selection of 4 or 5! There’s also a chef to cook eggs to order.

I walked to the pool hotel although the preferred means of transport for most guests is a golf cart type vehicle and the hotels all have a little fleet of them ready to ferry guests around. The streets were almost eerie. Virtually deserted except for a few obvious expat workers doing those menial jobs that obviously pay a subsistence wage and not much more. Qatar is a wealthy country but it is not shared all that equitably. At nights there’s a hubbub of tourists and merchants but there were no signs of it in the heat of the day.

But it’s pool time now and for a couple of hours. The routine of in and out of the water works well. The pool is delightful and the only other swimmer has just left. The slight breeze makes for a temporary respite and really it’s pretty good. So here I go because I go again.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.104s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 6; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0813s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb