Ooh ahh in Doha.


Advertisement
Qatar's flag
Middle East » Qatar » Doha
October 8th 2019
Published: October 8th 2019
Edit Blog Post

Ooo aaah! Lots to look at in Doha. Sure it’s hot but as soon as you get anywhere it’s air conditioned and comfy. And that includes the underground walkways that funnel pedestrian traffic (and not many walk here!) below the busy roads to the waterfront Corniche. They reminded me of the Moscow subways, all cool marble and with lighting that is almost chandelier like. So you leave the souk area and emerge looking at the sleek and modern skyline of DECC, the Islamic Museum of Art and some of Doha’s 5 star hotels that dot the Corniche. There’s some homage to the past with a giant oyster shell and pearl and some boats that still take leisurely motoring cruises on the bay but the overall impression is one of modernity and of some form of ‘creature’ merging from the desert. The skyline is impressive with buildings of various styles competing to rise from what was once little more than sand and in the case of the Islamic Museum of Art was not even sand. But the ooh aahs have only began as the Islamic Museum of Art is choc full of an beautiful pieces. I should say choc full as really each piece is individually displayed and carefully curated. The building is relatively new and most works have been acquired within the last 10 to 15 years so the buyers have had a great time lately but the pieces are stunning. The galleries specialising in pattern, science in the arts and calligraphy were really fascinating. We will return tomorrow as it’s always our philosophy to quit while ahead rather than try and see everything and get overwhelmed (and tired). Our ticket is valid for 3 days and despite it being relatively expensive it’s cheaper than other things here. Even the hop on hop off bus, which is not a relished thought in 38 degree temperatures, cost about $73 which seems a lot. Other tours have been quoted at $420 for 4 hours! Admittedly they are private ones but we are having trouble finding any that cater for small groups. I’ve included lots of arty photos of pieces from the Islamic Museum of Art because it was good so be prepared there may be even more tomorrow.

We managed to walk back and although it’s not far the temperature takes a bit of a toll so it’s a little rest and type before I attempt to find a money changer capable of converting Euros to Qatari Riyals.

So bye for now from Doha.


Additional photos below
Photos: 33, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.085s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 13; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0524s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb