Petra - a Wonder of the World indeed


Advertisement
Jordan's flag
Middle East » Jordan » South » Petra
September 5th 2008
Published: September 5th 2008
Edit Blog Post

27 Aug - today we visit Petra, an extremely famous UNESCO site and eighth wonder of the ancient world / one of the Modern wonders of the world. We have a guided tour in morning with our guide Ibrahim.

Even the approach to Petra is spectacular with out of this world rock formations. Petra is a vast, unique city, carved into the sheer rock face by the Nabateans. Walking through the Siq is like walking through a huge canyon but steeped in history. After a few hours walking, Ibrahim takes us aside and spins us a story about looking for gold, we are so distracted that we follow his every word...it is of course a well-known plot for tourists so that we step back and face the iconic view from the Siq looking on to the Treasury. Speechless, has to be seen to be believed...Indiana Jones doesn't do it justice.

Surprisingly, there aren't too many tourists (not like the Pyramids at Giza) and atmospheric with camels and donkeys wandering around. Ali and I explore beyond the Treasury for an hour or so but give the 900 step climb to the Monastery a miss - it's just too hot, in the mid 40's with no shade, for us Scots. We wander back slowly to the hotel, admiring the various stalls with jewellry and knick knacks. I have a very refreshing dip in the pool at the hotel.

We head out again that evening to do Petra by Night. Candle light and the most amazing starry sky leads us (and about a hundred others!) back to the Treasury. There we sit on the ground, and while drinking sage tea we listen to traditional Nabatean music (lute and flute) and stories, completely magical.

We stop off at Mystic Pizza (!) on the way back to the hotel before heading to bed and think about our wonderful day in Petra.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.192s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 25; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0976s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb