Wadi Rum - vast, echoing and God-like....and bonding with camels


Advertisement
Jordan's flag
Middle East » Jordan » South » Wadi Rum
September 5th 2008
Published: September 5th 2008
Edit Blog Post

28 Aug - we're in Lawrence of Arabia country, hence the TE Lawrence quote! We drive to Wadi Rum this morning - even more spectacular scenery. I must find some different superlatives to use! Jagged, rugged jebels rise from the desert sands. This is completely unique scenery, in a similar way to Cappadocia - it's not like the Alps, Dolomites, Carpathians, etc and other such amazing mountainous areas.

I'm almost sick with the anticipation of our camel trek. These animals are HUGE and I seem to be allocated the biggest beast. However, I get on ok...without falling off (it's a long way down if I did) and manage to survive 3 HOURS trekking across Wadi Rum - no bad for a lass who's never been on the back of a horse or even a donkey before!!!!!! I'm petrified for about the first hour but then gain balance and confidence and start to love the sense of freedom and tranquility of riding across the desert like Lawrence and a nomadic Bedouin (much better than the 4WD option, me thinks). By the time we finish I'm looking forward to the Sahara in Morocco and another camel trek!!!!

We drive to Aqaba, after experiencing a sand storm while leaving Wadi Rum. Cannae believe we're here, in Aqaba - London to Aqaba, many months in the planning! We have a well deserved dip in the roof top pool of our hotel overlooking the Red Sea. We then head out to the Flokka Fish Restaurant for our 'last supper' with the group. Great wine, company and chat.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.057s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 20; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0379s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1mb