Madaba - Mount Nebo and The Holy Land


Advertisement
Jordan's flag
Middle East » Jordan » West » Madaba
September 5th 2008
Published: September 5th 2008
Edit Blog Post

26 Aug - feeling back to normal today. We start our journey south through Jordan. First stop, Madaba - the City of Mosaics. I instantly get a good vibe about this town and definitely think I'll come back here next week when the tour finishes and I have 5 days on my own in Jordan. It's laid back, not too touristy, friendly and mostly Christian. Mosaic rules in this area, culminating in the oldest Mosaic map - the Great Map of Palestine from the 6th century, which is housed within a cute, wee Greek Orthodox church.

We then head just 15 mins west of Madaba to Mount Nebo, where Moses was shown the Holy Land and is believed to be buried. It is completely breathtaking and beyond belief to look out over Israel, Jericho, Jerusalem and the River of Jordan from this one viewpoint. Places that you read about in the bible and learn about in Sunday School suddenly come alive.

While driving south, we follow part of the King's Highway. This is the road taken by the three Kings when heading to Bethlehem to visit baby Jesus when they go bearing their gifts of gold, frankincense and myrrh.

After driving through a stunning gorge, that could easily rival the Grand Canyon, and stopping for lunch in the middle of nowhere with a v friendly host and his upside down Jordanian rice speciality, we explore Karak - another crusader castle...with the usual features...

We arrive quite late in Wadi Musa - the Valley of Moses. Petra tomorrow...

Advertisement



5th September 2008

Juice
If you are still there, somewhere along the high street (near the church with the mosiac map on the floor) is a kebab shop that sells the world's best fruit smoothies..... There'sa challenge for you to find it!

Tot: 0.184s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 19; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0832s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb