VALENCIA


Advertisement
Jordan's flag
Middle East » Jordan » North » Amman
December 12th 2014
Published: December 12th 2014
Edit Blog Post

VALENCIA. 4,5,6 December,2014. Good weather




We have been blessed with great weather, Blue skies, sunshine, moderate breezes and cool to cold temps.

Today we took the slow train to Valencia, Spain's third city with a pop. of about 1 million. The train station was in the centre so we could avoid the taxis and walk to our hotel. Very Grand 1900 style building.

Spain has many splendid parks and squares, as does Valencia. All are decorated with lights for Christmas, however they aren't switched on as yet. The shops are poorly decorated for Christmas, its as though they are embarrassed to celebrate it, very underwhelming for a Catholic country.

Valencia hosted the America's Cup when Switzerland won the right to host, and it seems that many billions of euros were spent on public amenities. Also believe that nearby coastal centres also enjoyed in the euro splurge.

Valencia has a major arts and sciences precinct , comprised of out of world design and styles, however the area was soulless, devoid of people and stark, in sharp contrast to the beautiful buildings of past generations.

We caught the bus to the beach, about 15kms from the centre. An enjoyable bus ride through the suburbs which convinced us that we didn't want to live here!! The beach was very wide, perhaps 400m. There was no surf, although there were board riding schools, so perhaps in season the waves roll in.

The boardwalk ran for miles. Very wide, perhaps 50m, and fully tiled. Again thousands of square metres. Spain must have many tilers! It was impressive. You could certainly see where all the borrowed millions have been spent.

Our departure from Valencia to Madrid, 350 kms away in the centre of Spain, was by super fast train that at times exceeded 300 kph. You didn't feel the speed cocooned in the carriage. A very fast 90 minute journey.


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement



Tot: 0.052s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 25; dbt: 0.026s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb