Cinque Terre - Vernazza to Corniglia to Manarola to Riomaggoire


Advertisement
Europe
April 22nd 2017
Published: May 5th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Having decided not to walk today we headed off to the railway station just across the road. The decision was made clearer when we found that the Vernazza to Corniglia section of the walk was open but the next two sections finishing in Riomaggiore were closed due to previous landslides.

Corniglia - we got off the train and walked into town up 33 flights of zig zag steps. This is the only one of the Cinque Terre towns that is not on the sea and is the smallest of the five. We had a walk around this small and isolated town which has a lovely church built in 1335. We had morning tea in Corniglia - cappuccino and an Italian biscuit that was delicious. Wifi as well as we had been off line for a couple of days.

Back to the station for the train to Manarola. There are many tall houses perched on black rock above the sea. Even on a calm day the waves pound the rocks. We could see when we walked into town to the water one of the damaged section of the Via del'Amore walking trail. This stone path links the town with Riomaggior. We watched a German lady go for a swim to the amusement of her tour group. Lunch in Manarola - tucked away in the sun we shared another bruschetta and some prosecco and beer. Delicious.

Train to Riomaggiore the largest of the five towns. Our stop for the night was at the Hotel Argentina at the top of the highest hill in town!! Great room with a balcony and wifi. Very nice staff who moved our bags up the 3 flights of stairs to our room. Exhausting. For dinner we had to walk all the way back down to the waterfront. Dinner at la Grotto restaurant. Kevin said it was the best meal he had had on the trip - grilled sea bass and vegetables. A delicious tiramisu for dessert- melt in your mouth.

A great day, relaxing and different with train travel instead of walking but definitely the right choice.


Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement











Tot: 0.299s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 16; qc: 77; dbt: 0.1132s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb