Haarlem/Amsterdam


Advertisement
Europe
April 22nd 2015
Published: May 10th 2015
Edit Blog Post

20thApril

Kaag Island to Haarlem

Debby did some running around for us this morning, including getting gas bottles filled and going to buy some folding bikes that we’d been looking for recently. These ones were in good condition and only E160 so happy to pay for that. Got back to boat and found out bridge opened at 1500. Packed up the boat and headed off. Fortunately there was a Dutch sailing boat in front of us and so we happily followed them all the way to Haarlem as they were opening all the bridges for us and we just had to follow. Funny thing, we pulled up waiting for a bridge that was not going to open for 15mins and rafted up alongside them. At first the guy was extremely rude and abrupt when we said hi. But once we started talking to his wife…Oh you’re from Australia…and she told him we were Australian, he warmed up. Then he told us they’d been cursing us all the way as we were holding back apparently too far and so the bridge wouldn’t open until we were very close. Opps. We were just leaving a bit of room in case things went sour!! So now we know. Stick close to the boat in front when going through the bridges. We had a good laugh together and continued to following him….at a closer distance. Waved to them and tied up in the main street of Haarlem – at their advice!!



22nd April

Haarlem to Amsterdam

Great couple of days in Haarlem, what a lovely little city to explore. Rode our bikes around – bike paths everywhere – got some saddle bags rode out to the shops and did our food shopping. All so very easy. Decided to leave this morning at 0900 hoping that there would be another boat to follow through as the last passage was so easy but no – all quiet on the boat front. Knew we needed to get to a bridge by 1030 as this one was timed and not manually operated so took off. Got through the first 3 bridges ok, had to wait a while for a couple, then paid our dues – all fine. Got to the sluice in time for the opening. Yay. Only to find out that it wasn’t the sluice that was timed, but the bridge just up ahead. We had to pay for the sluice so when I went in she explained that we would miss the opening of the said bridge but it would open again in 4 hrs. Never mind, I replied, we’ll just tie up and have a cup of tea. I paid our dues and went back down to the boat. A couple of minutes later she called out to us and told us that the bridge was going to wait a few extra minutes so that we could get there and get through. She had phoned them or something and arranged it all. So as soon as we got through the sluice we raced up towards the bridge and sure enough it started opening as we got close. Funny thing, there were our Dutch friends from the last passage….waiting for us again.

As we went through the bridge, a guy yelled out to us, whistled, got our attention and waved and gave us the thumbs up. Not sure if he’s been to Australia, is Australian or wants to go, but so very grateful that the whole bridge opening was delayed of us!!!!! Pretty sure that doesn’t happen very often and most certainly expect it and certainly did not even contemplate asking!!

On to Amsterdam and into the new Amsterdam Marina. I do believe this is the marina with the best facilities IN THE WORLD. (well so far on our trip anyway). It has a bath!!!!!!!!!!!! I couldn’t believe it. And I most certainly availed myself of it. I had a very hot, long soaking bath with a window that you can look out of and then frosts over when you close it, so you can get out. I just loved it. We took the free ferry across the river into Amsterdam city and went for an explore there.


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement



Tot: 0.14s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0868s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb