madrid


Advertisement
Europe
September 16th 2009
Published: September 16th 2009
Edit Blog Post

We stagged home today both of us with our feet aching - mine were swollen, there were frequent stops for lattes and to look into shop windows, I am amazed at how different the shops in madrid are - all small and individual with quite nice trendy things mostly size 6 - alas. Of course shopping is not my thing really but it is an excuse to loiter.
We have had the most marvellous two days in the galleries - walking there via the beautiful Plaza Mayor to see the street scenes. We loved the Carmen Thyssen collection - IT COVERED all periods and just when I had enough of those dour dutch we were on to a different genre. Then a stop for lunch at the Prado - good place to eat and then the gallery. Words do not describe the collections - the spanish painters feactures heavily but I find Rubens woman relatable and happy looking. I think we managed to covered it all. There was still time to walk through the Botanical garden and a few churches on our way home. We had to put our feet up and had several cups of tea before we could face the streets again. We found a nice place for dinner and had the Madrid speciality of cocido which is a stew with pigs trotter, sausages, lentils, potatoes and cabbages. We found it delicious if very filling - the house vino was excellent and eating out here we find healthy and good value.
despite all the walking and the heavy dinner we had a bad restless night and didn't go down for our coffee until 10.00am It was a lovely sunny day as we walked to the Reina Sofia gallery - the modern art gallery which houses Picasso GUERNICA - I didn't expect to enjoy this gallery as much but in fact it was a highlight and Picasso's huge guernica is so moving to see it on the wall - it makes the horrors of war very real.
We stopped for lunch on a quiet square and had a delicious dish of the day - 3 courses all for 10 euros. It was a long slog over to the Palacio real - to see the royal palace. Not nearly as grand as Versailles but still very gilded and sumptuous. On the way back we noticed a poster for the Cuba ballet dancing Gizelle tonight in the theatre beside us - I am very excited that I will be able to see it tonight. I think we are going to settle for wine and cheese in bed. We are delighted we get into all the galleries free because we are european seniors. Tomorrow we meet our group and god knows we should be the fittest people on this walking holiday - I feel I've been in boot camp for a week with all the walking on hard pavement. We have only scratched the surface here - tomorrow we will have time to see the archeological museum and then make it to our meeting place at the airport. The weather is sunny but not warm and we neet sweaters in the evening - perfect city sighseeing temperature.
My internet connections might be very dicey when we leave Madrid tomorrow.
love from george and marie here in beautiful madrid.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.235s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0314s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb