Less than a week


Advertisement
Europe
May 16th 2009
Published: May 16th 2009
Edit Blog Post

I'm on the countdown now. Less than a week to go and thn back to my reality. "Realty" never really left me since I always had my job's Blackberry with me and was constantly checking email. (I have this project going on at work so I had to stay on top of it.) In addition, I would often think about things going on - or not going on- at home and worrisome thoughts woulf creep in my head. For the most part though (I would give it a 85%), this was an enjoyable trip. I'm in the process of reading "With Purpose" and learning about ways that I can take my life and make it a SIGNIFICANT" life, ie, for the good of others. That is going to be my challenge when I get home. I am convinced that the way to true happiness is not by acquiring, but by giving. That is my goal. As I journey to Barcelona (beginning tomorrow), I am going to make part of this blog "pearls of wisdom" that I read in this book and that I intend to ensure that they either stay with me, as I already knew them, or that they become a part of me.

As for now, these past two days have been spent in Nice, France. Yesterday morning I woke up raring to take a 20 minute walk to the Promnade d'Anglais by the sea and re-start my running program. When I was regularly running, I was at my smallest and felt my best, physically and mentally. I am determined to get back to that state!! There! I said it and I mean it! Anyway, the sound of rain outside my window stopped that plan - at least for that day. Thus, I pulled out my umbrella and proceeded to walk to the Old City of Nice where they daily hold a street market, displaying flowers and plants (the Provence is the home of the perfume industry) and fresh fruits, vegetables, herbs, and pastries. I had my cappacino and French toast at this little cafe and pondered on what I was going to do on this rainy day. I decided I would take the train to Monaco or Cannes or Grasse. After arriving at the train station, I found out that the trains were on strike for the day. Why I never!!! So then I decided to take the hop on, hop off sightseeing trip of Nice, however, I couldn't find where to catch the bus. At this point, I was so frustrated with the dissolution of every plan that I made. So, to get my exercise in, I decided to walk to the locations that I wanted to see on the tour. I must have walked at least 10 miles yesterday, up and dowm hills! My first stop was the Musee du Matisse. This museum held numerous works of Henri Matisse that have not ever left the country. The area also included a monastery, a botanical garden, and an archeological museum. I then proceeded downhill to the harbor, thinking I could catch a boat ride to Monaco (the couple I met the previous night told me I could). NOT!! So then I went back to my room, took a bath, read my emails and found out that I was scheduled to work Memorial Day weekend. Bummer! I was lloking forward to getting back home and spending 3 days of relaxation in Destin with my honey. Again, NOT!! I then decided to go to bed and start all over tomorrow.

Well, now it is "tomorrow" and as I write this, it is about 5:00 PM and I am sitting on the train wondering why it isn't moving. This morning, I took the train to Monaco. What a beautiful and surreal location. Very tall mountains surround the sea. The Monte Carlo Grand Casino and the Prince's Palace overlooks the sea from atop these hills. Beautiful, sweet-smelling flowers and cacti are all around. I had breakfast at this exclusive hotel (I paid way too much for this breakfast but I figured "what the heck") and then planned to go into the caino for a little fun. That's when I found out the casino would not open until 2 PM. I am used to 24 hour casino fun so that was a surprise to me.

I then decided to take the train to Grasse, France, the center of the perfume industry and a little under 2 hours away fro Monaco. On the way there, this massive train decides to breakdown at the Cannes stop!!

Now, Cannes has just started the Cannes Film Festival and this area is SWARMING with people. I had no choice but to get off the train and wait for the next one. I walked around and inadvertently walked smack dab into the festival. WOW! The beautiful people of the film industry are all around. Everyone is walking fast and talking on their cell phones or typing into their Blackberry. (Like I'm doing now.) You can tell they're having power lunches and networking. Of course, I'm looking to see if I see any celebrities but I'm not sure if I would know one if I saw one.

Back on the train, I continue my trip to Grasse. Nothing much to report here. I toured the Fragorand Perfume Museum and learned how perfume is made. I am now back on the train (which started moving again a few minutes ago) and on my way back to Monaco. I just can't come all this way and not try my luck in their casino. Wish me luck.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.224s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 9; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0384s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb