APPIA ROAD LAST DAY


Advertisement
Europe
November 12th 2007
Published: November 12th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Day 23 and the last day

Well we are on our own again today as Laura and Dan where out late and still in bed at 9am so we decided that today being our last day we would go to the Appia roads. Now just imagine a road 451 kms straight from Roma to Brindisi, it was built in 306 to 312 bc and is perfectly straight. It was said then it took 14 days to travel the road. I would imagine now it would take 2 months. how they did it on the cobblestone is beyond me. Started off by going to the catacombs where over 500,000 where buried, they where unearthed some years ago and only 2% is open to the public. We where down 20 meters and they where the oldest as they down so the farther down the younger they where. Quite the sight. Next we wandered down the road and came across Circus of Maxentuis which was still in good condition all thoughthere has been no excavation work down here yet. It goes back to the 4th century and it was one of the best conserved circus in Roma. It had and oblisque standing in the middle which has now been moved to Piazza Nuovo. There was so much to see here it is definately a day visit. We then took a ride in a cart with another couple we met from Austrailia and we where pulle around by a movie star, yes thats right a star. He was a 7 year old horse who appeared in the movie Gladiator. Wow have we had some brushes with fame on this trip. He took down the appia road to the aquaducts and around to the park. Then we caught the bus and metro back to the steps so Lissa could shop one more time, I mean who knows maybe she missed a store and sure enough she did. Caught up to Laura and Dan and went out to small family resturant for the last supper, Floratine steak and a good bottle of wine.

Well its done and tomorrow back to reality

We'll do one blog once we are at home to add pictures and cover anything we might have missed and hope you have all enjoyed our trip adventure as much as we have.

Caio for now ron and lissa

wine count at 51 (not bad)

Advertisement



Tot: 0.221s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0461s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb