The Med


Advertisement
Europe
August 21st 2007
Published: August 23rd 2007
Edit Blog Post

Some photos from cruising the Mediterranean Sea.


Throughout the summer I was only allowed off the boat a few times to see some of the places we visited. While we were in Naples Italy I took a day to visit the ancient ruins of the Roman settlement of Pompeii. Pompeii was destroyed in the year 79 AD by a huge eruption from the volcano Mt. Vesuvius. The town was buried and not rediscovered until almost 1800. The city has been excavated and you can now walk through the streets and buildings and see exactly how life was being lived the day it was destroyed. It's absolutely fascinating - and a bit creepy.

During the excavation voids were found in the layers and it was realized that the spaces were where people had been when they were buried (then the bodies decomposed). Plaster was pumped into the voids and perfect human replicas show what the person was doing in their last moments.

Click on the photos for a larger view.



Additional photos below
Photos: 20, Displayed: 20


Advertisement

crossingcrossing
crossing

The crossing from Florida to Europe was pretty smooth until the last night. We hit 15-18 ft seas with occasional 20 footers. The waves breaking on the bow were soaking the brindge windows (they call it green water).
La Ciotat, FranceLa Ciotat, France
La Ciotat, France

The little hole next to the door isn't a mouse hole, it is to wipe the mud off your shoes before entering the house.
Small carSmall car
Small car

Of course being from the US I got a kick out of these tiny cars. They are so cute!
Sticky Bum StatueSticky Bum Statue
Sticky Bum Statue

Someone thought that would be a nice place to stick gum. Ok, I admit that I find it kinda funny...
Portofino, ItalyPortofino, Italy
Portofino, Italy

An extremely cute town on the Northern coast of Italy.
Cool HouseCool House
Cool House

The northern coast of Italy had some fo the most interesting houses I have ever seen. This one is built into the rock which seems to be quite common to do there.
Pompeii ForumPompeii Forum
Pompeii Forum

The city center with Mt. Vesuvius, the volcano that destoyed the city, in the background.
Pompeii HousePompeii House
Pompeii House

The paintings of daily life on the interiors of some of the buildings were preserved.


Tot: 0.42s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0601s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb