Day 38 - Tour Boat Central


Advertisement
Europe
August 8th 2023
Published: August 8th 2023
Edit Blog Post

Sleeping in isn't as easy as it sounds when the body is programmed to be up at 6:30am for the daily routing of getting ready to ride. Despite that we managed to sleep until about 7:15am. We sauntered down to breakfast just before 8am and duly inhaled as much food as we could - riding makes you hungry, even when you aren't riding.

As in Nuremberg, I found a self guided walk which kept me busy until lunch time. Passau's old town is the rival of any of the others we've seen. A beautiful city that is at the confluence of 3 rivers, The Danube, The Inn, and The Ilz. It is also the start of the "golden stretch" of the Danube for tour boats. Everywhere I walked today there were groups of people being led around by someone with a flag talking mostly in languages other than English. There were 3 tour boats docked at Passau today and it felt like every single one of the was out sight seeing.

The sites included the now "common" collection of churches, cathedrals, city gates, town halls, statues, fountains and castles, but Passau has something special. Perched atop the hill overlooking the 3 rivers is Veste Oberhaus, a fortress/castle that was founded in 1219 and served as the stronghold of the local Bishop for most of it's time. It's now a museum and restaurant. It's the largest castle in Europe. It's interesting to note that the castle stronghold survived 5 external attacks, 2 of which were from the citizens of Passau in rebellion against the bishop. As it turn out I bumped into Jeff there who was also exploring the museum and grounds.

We also made an afternoon visit to a bike shop. My brakes have been getting progressively worse and so I got a new set of brake pads, which Jeff replaced for me - I think I owe him an ice-cream tonight.

Tomorrow's destination is Schlogen and is a very short 44kms away. Maybe another sleep-in and big breakfast before heading of at a leisurely pace.

Total travelled today: 0kms

Total travelled so far: 2,145kms


Additional photos below
Photos: 29, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Old Roman wall and tower.Old Roman wall and tower.
Old Roman wall and tower.

The Romans held control of the area for about 400 years up to the mid 5th century.
Museum Kastell BoiotroMuseum Kastell Boiotro
Museum Kastell Boiotro

It stand on the foundations of the late Roman Fort Boiotro


Tot: 0.038s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 10; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0193s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb