Palermo centre


Advertisement
Europe
September 11th 2019
Published: September 12th 2019
Edit Blog Post

Up early because we were early to bed. Enjoyed a 'real' coffee! Set off for the day to walk some of the Historical area. We are living in a Pedestrian bicycle only area so makes for easy walking. Quiet too down a narrow alley.
If i remember right the Municipality was going to aid apartment owners financially to repair their buildings. This time their is an amazing amount of reconstruction happening all around. Including completion of the one we are in.

First to the Catterdrale nearby. A stroll along Via Vittorio Emanuele. Colourful piccolo shops the entire street, vendors outside, piccolo restaurants. Easy stroll popping into a few courtyards along the way.
The Cathedral is fantastic with 18 portico chapels.

Enjoyed the stroll back down the busy street & across the busy Via Roma to a Carrefoure Supermache.. more tomatoes & grapes...water bottles. Into the info centre beside San Cataldo of 1160 Islamic influence.
Cooled off at home then headed out to BallarĂ³ markets with it's wide variety of fresh produce & cooking smells....missed the fish market. Carried on the Teatro Massimo & decided to check when the tours run.


The Catterdrale: first erected IV & destroyed completely by the Vandal invasion. 604 a Temple & Crypt. 831Saracans conquer & modify it to a mosque. 1072 Normans take Palermo & return it to Christian worship. 1185 a new Catterdrale was consecrated, using some of the ancient temple. The exact year of construction is uncertain the influences were northern European & Byzantine religious architecture. 1250 two side towers are completed. 1453 the southern portico (see pic 3 arches). 1800's the Bell Tower.
Additions were made right up the 20th century.


Additional photos below
Photos: 39, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



12th September 2019

Palermo
Just read your two blogs back to back guys. We feel as if we're right next to you when we read the info and view the pictures. We just need to turn up the heating and we could be there :) xxx

Tot: 0.051s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 8; qc: 22; dbt: 0.0308s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb