Vatican City


Advertisement
Vatican City's flag
Europe » Vatican City
July 29th 2005
Published: January 30th 2006
Edit Blog Post

It was 8:30am or so when Katie, Sarah, and I found ourselves outside of the Vatican. There was a nearby free tour about to begin, but after realizing just how slow it would be, we quickly broke away.

Apparantly, we beat the crowds through the whole experience because we went straight into St. Peters, and then the museum afterwards.

The church was absolutely amazing. I was burning up, because I'd worn a halter top that day and had to cover my shoulders up in the heat with the sweater I had with me. It's considered disrespectful to show knees/shoulders in these places. Once inside, I was suprised at the different areas within that you could worship in, and there was also a communion being given while we were there. There were confession booths scattered about, each with the appropriate language written on the door, so that anyone would have the ability to confess if they desired to.

After leaving St. Peter's, we had to walk all the way around to the other side of Vatican City to get to the museum. Paying entrance in is the only way to see the Sistine chapel since it has been enclosed into the museum. There were many ornate tapistries, artifacts, and even beautiful cieling work in the museum.. but you felt like you were walking forever to get to the Sistine chapel. Finally, when you're not expecting it, you walk into a room.. and you realize that the School of Athens is on the wall. That was a suprise... especially how close we could get to it.

Not too long after this, was the Sistine Chapel. Unfortunately, no pictures are allowed of this.. and the workers there are quite annoying at making this known... also with their repeated shushings of the crowd. (And no one was hardly talking at that!) There were a few portions of the cieling that were left in the darker state before the recent restorations so that you can see just how dark it had gotten!

Had we gone on a Monday, we would have been able to see the pope give his weekly address, but he was out of the area for the weekend on his duties. It was amazing to see all the "pope" memoriabilia around in all the stores. I guess tourists will buy anything...

And so it was on to
Vatican MuseumVatican MuseumVatican Museum

The School of Athens.
see the rest of Rome!


Additional photos below
Photos: 17, Displayed: 17


Advertisement

In the piazzaIn the piazza
In the piazza

I thought it was cute to see all the Asians in their tour group in the shade together like this.
Vatican MuseumVatican Museum
Vatican Museum

Tilework on the floor.


Tot: 0.184s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 26; qc: 109; dbt: 0.1272s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb