Exploring around Glenborrodale


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom
October 31st 2016
Published: November 8th 2016
Edit Blog Post

Pine MartenPine MartenPine Marten

Best photo of our pine marten captured on the first night
I woke early and went for a quick potter down to the loch which was beautiful in the morning light but the only willife I saw were small birds (mostly robins), herons & a deer print. On checking the traps we had one bank vole (released again unharmed) - we think we caught the same little chap the next moring so we moved the trap lovcations after that. More excitingly the camera trap had caught footage of the pine marten in the garden!!!
We spent Sunday morning visiting Glenborrodale Nature Reserve, a lovely little reserves of woodland & moor. Sadly the red squirrels didn't put in an appearance but it was a lovely walk. Mark's bad back let him come with us but he had to turn back early. We saw lots of deer in the field behind the garden, both fallow & red. An evening stroll revealled a single area of common pipestrelle activity.
Monday the weather was terrible so we tried to visit the Ardnamurchan Natural History Visitor Centre but although the website *still* says they're open everyday they had just closed for winter & won't be reopening til spring. The distillery opposite also looked closed so we instead headed to Acharacle for
Pine MartenPine MartenPine Marten

Second night!
lunch at the cafe... which was also shut! The hotel opposite which claimed to do lunches also was closed up so we ended up at the Highlander Cafe where we had delicious red deer venison burgers. We then headed to the Loch Sunart wildlife hide to look for seals & otters but neither put in an appearance and after getting rather cold & wet we headed back towards the cottage. On the way back there was a cry of "seal!" then "otter!" so we stopped the car in a passing bay (of which there were loads) & went for a closer look.... It was an otter diving for crabs (or other prey) near a bouy. we watched him for a while and were rewarded with excellent views of him diving, swimming, then coming to shore to eat his latest catch then groom himself before heading back out to water.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

Loch SunartLoch Sunart
Loch Sunart

early morning shot of Loch Sunart
Deer printDeer print
Deer print

Loads of red & fallow deer around the area
View of Loch SunartView of Loch Sunart
View of Loch Sunart

From the road on the way back from the nature reserve


Tot: 0.198s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 55; dbt: 0.0495s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb