Ben Hiant & Salen Oakwood


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » Scotland » The Highlands » Ardnamurchan
November 1st 2016
Published: November 8th 2016
Edit Blog Post

Monday night we decided to keep a watch out for the pine martin so I spent set up by the window with a torch shone one the feeder and after 45minutes (made shorter by a couple of glasses of wine) I spotted eyes at the end of the garden. The others joined me & the eyes bounded up the garden & the pine marten came into view! We had an exciting time watching him eat up al our peanut butter before vanishing off into the night again.

Tuesday's weather was looking like out best bet for climbing the highest hill around, Ben Hiant. We had a brief false start when we realised we'd left the OS map behind and went back for it but in hindsight the directions were enough, especially as there was only one track up & down! The grass was very wet & slippery in place & the wind was biting (especially on the way back down) but the views were stunning & there was a lovely sheltered spot just below the summit where we could sit on the rocks in the sun for lunch. On the way back to the cottage we saw a goldern eagle over Beinn Bhuidhe!

A couple of us wanted to make the most of the sunshine so we set off again to wander around the Salen Oakwood, the autumn colours in the sun were stunning & we had beautiful views along Loch Sunart. Theur tree trail was slightly confusing in that it seemed to have posts for tree species that we couldn't spot next to the post! We stopped at a beautuful stop on the way back where we saw a seal out in the loch, but no otters.

We has another stake out for the pine marten that evening and again got good views of him 😊


Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement

Loch Mudle from Ben HiantLoch Mudle from Ben Hiant
Loch Mudle from Ben Hiant

I think this is Loch Mudle...
View from Ben HiantView from Ben Hiant
View from Ben Hiant

Towards the sea
Autumnal leavesAutumnal leaves
Autumnal leaves

Oak at Salen Oakwood


Tot: 0.056s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 12; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0249s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb