First Stop, Ashford Kent


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom
June 8th 2016
Published: June 11th 2016
Edit Blog Post

So we're off. Managed to get out of work on time, so loading up and getting ready was an un-rushed affair. The M3 and M25 were on our side so 120 miles in 2 1/2 hours with a stop off for a stretch and something to eat after the first hour.

Tonight is a beer and early to bed because we want to get first sitting for breakfast and off to the tunnel. We fuelled the bike before checking in to save time and that should give us enough to make it must of the way to our hotel in Luxembourg before we need to refuel.

The first leg is the longest, about 360 miles. We decided on that because we have travelled that part of Europe before but never been to Luxembourg so we made that is the first destination. We are staying in a small town called Vianden. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vianden We chose that town for no other reason than it has one of those castles that you seen in the tourist brochures and war films. This trip shouldn't all be about long rides, hunting for fuel during a French fuel strike and dodging the storms that have flooded much of France and Germany..... We want some Kodak moments and culture.

The bike handled the weight of the luggage really well. It did feel a bit odd at time, especially on the concrete bits of motorway rather than the tarmac surface. Not a problem just different and at the early stages of a trip I am very alert to everything. After a few days I will be throwing it around with abandon no doubt (thats what you think sonny - Julia)

Premiere Inn Ashford North - I have long thought that my SatNav has a sense of humour. Tonight is another example of this. Everything was great until the last 2 miles. With the hotel almost in sight, it took us along a lovely single track road with loose gravel and rampaging badgers (yes there was). Why? For practice? No matter. The hotel is exactly what a Premier in should be. Lenny H would be proud. I love the way that, for such new buildings, the connected Beefeater - The Wool Pack looks so olde world country pub. A nice touch. Good beer too ;o)

OK signing off for tonight. Have a good 'un


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement



Tot: 0.257s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0561s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb