U.K Megalithic Tour - Documentary Film Making Project


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom
March 12th 2013
Published: March 24th 2013
Edit Blog Post

The Spaceship ShroomsThe Spaceship ShroomsThe Spaceship Shrooms

Our vehicle for the 10 day tour of the U.K


U.K Megalithic Tour - Documentary Film Making Project





In this documentary we intend to show people the extent to the different types of megalithic sites in the U.K and give a clue into the large numbers that exist here in U.K.

We spent 11 days driving round the U.K, reaching as far North as the Orkney Islands and as far south as Landsend.

I would like to say a big thank you to 'The Megalithic Portal' - a very informative website which made this trip a lot easier to plan and research.

The sites we visited are listed below in chronological order with details and observations about each site:


Waylands Smithy Long Barrow




Description - A Long Barrow set in an atmospheric woodland location in Oxfordshire, not far from the Uffington White Horse. It is 55m in length and ranges from 8m to 15m wide forming a trapezoidal shape. Inside there are three small chambers, one main one and two to the sides, if they were rooms they were built for children.




Official Story -

“The barrow was constructed in two phases; during Neolithic times people built a wooden mortuary enclosure a with stone floor surrounded by boulders and chalk, then around 2800 BC, the mound and outlying ditches were added. They found 14 bodies, including a child, although no grave goods were found. The long barrow was reconstructed after excavations, pieces of green plastic trellis can even be seen protruding from the mound material near the entrance. There are many legends attached to this site that date back over a thousand years, with the Anglo-Saxon Weland and the Norse Volund mentioned.”






Alternative thinking, Our
Waylands SmithyWaylands SmithyWaylands Smithy

Birds eye diagram of the site
Observations and things to investigate - A recent study by the English Heritage in association with Cardiff University and University of Central Lancashire used radiocarbon dating to re-assess the archaeological evidence from Wayland’s Smithy. They used a Bayesian statistical method to date bones found with more precision and they found that they were wrong to think the barrows were used over centuries; instead their use was short lived, probably for under a decade in the case of Wayland’s Smithy.



http://www.english-heritage.org.uk/daysout/properties/waylands-smithy/history-and-research/radiocarbon-dating/



So there is a lot of guess work to do with the age so maybe these people that existed in Neolithic times stumbled upon ancient ruins built by the same global civilisation that built Gobekli Tepe or Ollantaytambo in Peru. People around 3000 B.C found ancient stone ruins and used them for a brief time and left remnants of their presence.

More investigation needs to be done into the purpose of these structures, what they looked like when they were built, whether the chalk is important in its function and if there is any interaction with ley line energies.




Castlerigg Stone Circle




Description - A Stone circle approximately 30 metres in diameter, made up of 38 stones and set in an atmospheric location within a spectacular ring of mountains. Most of the 33 stones that still stand are around 1m in height but those closer to the entrances at the north and south are larger, the tallest of which is 2.3m high and weighs around 15 tonnes. There is a feature unique to this site with a 10 stones forming a rectangular enclosure inside the ring,.



Official Story - The official story is a bit tentative and vague:

“Although its origins are unknown it is believed that it was used for ceremonial or religious purposes. It was probably built around 3000 BC – the beginning of the later Neolithic Period – and is one of the earliest stone circles in Britain. It is important in terms of megalithic astronomy and geometry, as the construction contains significant astronomical alignments.”






Alternative thinking, Our Observations and things to investigate

It is located on the Belinus ley line, we were informed about this, in a synchronistic manner, by Neil McDonald who was giving people a tour of the megaliths in the area.

We also noticed:


• A Double gate - The circle is made up of a single line of stones except in one area where the circle is 2 stones thick
• An Inner room - Ten stones making up an inner room, possibly for rituals or possible used to manipulate energies to
Castlerigg Stone CircleCastlerigg Stone CircleCastlerigg Stone Circle

Aerial view, taken from our helicopter
access other dimensions.
• Pyramid hills – We saw some hills that reminded us of hills we had seen in Bosnia, shaped suspiciously like pyramids



Neil McDonald's Megalithic Tours and his book about the area we met him in.




Swinside Stone Circle




Description - Stone Circle in Cumbria, unspoilt and complete. 27 metres across and containing 55 stones. This area in the Lake District has large numbers of stone circle, constructed from local slate.




Official Story - Again the purpose is unclear and still debated, the most popular answer is they were for rituals or ceremonies during the Early Modern period. Local folklore about the stones suggests they had once been used in the construction of a church, but that the devil continually thwarted these plans, creating the stone circle in the process.



Alternative thinking, Our Observations and things to investigate -

Again on the Belinus energy line and with so many stone circles in the area, how many rituals did they have??

There was another Double Gate structure, with 4 stones making a square in the circle of stones. We also noticed that one of the stones was different from the others, big and formed by sedimentary action.




Cairnpapple Hill Fort




Description - Cairnpapple Hill is quite a strange structure about 30m in diameter, it kind of looks like a flying saucer landed and grass grew on top of it. There is a central mound with Stones inside, then an area circling the mound with holes dug into the ground and then there is a ditch. A fascinating place, we couldn’t see the stones inside as it was closed.




Official Story -

“Cairnpapple Hill was surprisingly thought to be used for ceremonies and burial rituals. They found two stone-axe fragments that suggest the earliest traces of activity date from around 5,500 years ago. In the later neolithic period there was a great oval enclosure known as a ‘henge monument’ comprising a 60m bank with a broad ditch on its outside and a ring of 24 upright timber posts within. There were two entrances, almost opposite each other. We know nothing of the nature of any ceremonies that surely took place there.





Alternative thinking, Our Observations and things to investigate -

There are so many layers of history here I find it hard to think what has happened here, I’m sure they had rituals here but we want to know why these structures were built in the first place, not what later generations used them for. I would love to find out what this structure looked like when it was originally built and I would like to re-visit to see the stones inside the mound. Stones inside the mound




Knock Stone Circle




Modern Stone Circle next to Cairnpapple Hill, we didn’t expect to find this stone circle here so were suspicious when exploring it, especially because there was a small dolmen in the middle, a feature that if ancient would make this very famous. The circle of 50 stones is arranged in two rings, built in 1998 to celebrate the 50th birthday of the farmer by his son.




Lundin Links Standing Stone




Description - Three tall standing stones situated on the fairway of a Golf Club, they stand forming a large triangle, although it is claimed that there is a stone missing and that the three tall stones used to stand in a large rectangular arrangement. The stones are between 14 and 17 ft in height



Official Story - The stones are a symbol of pagan worship and there are claims that there are alignments to distant hills. The age is estimated at 5000 – 6000 years old and an 18th century excavation found cists and bones.



Alternative thinking, Our Observations and things to investigate - Again it would be great to know what
Castlerigg Stone CircleCastlerigg Stone CircleCastlerigg Stone Circle

The chamber/room made from 10 stones
this site looked like when it was built and it would be interesting to take scientific measurements of energies interacting with the stones and to find out the size of the pieces of the stone acting as foundations in the ground.




Easter Arqhorthies




Description - This is one of 90+ recumbent stone circles situated in the Aberdeenshire area. This is a specific type of stone circle containing a recumbent stone that is lying on its side, flanked by vertical stones and 2 blocks facing into the 20m diameter stone circle.

The recumbent stone measures 3.8m in length and is thought to weigh around 9 tons and is made of reddish The flankers are made of grey granite 2.3m height, then the stones in the circle range from about 1.8m next to the flankers to 1m on the opposite side of the circle.




Official Story - .Thought to have been built around 2000BC, although the raised embankment that surrounds the stones, whose outer face is retained by a dry stone wall is thought to be a relatively recent addition, perhaps being constructed in the 1700s or 1800s. Possible uses range from acting as a lunar calendars, allowing accurate identification of different parts of the farming cycle to rituals and other spiritual purposes.



Alternative thinking, Our Observations and things to investigate

Would be great to take scientific measurements here and find out it orientation with any ley lines. Another stone circle with a feature in the circle, would be great to work out if there is a relationship between the position of these features and their latitude.
http://www.undiscoveredscotland.co.uk/inverurie/easteraquhorthies/index.html




Stones of Stenness




Description - Three huge standing stones, the largest around 19ft, making them visible for miles around. There are other small stones, possibly remnants of a stone circle, consisting of twelve stones 30m in diameter, surrounded by a rock-cut ditch (four metres across and 2.3 metres deep, like the nearby Ring of Brodgar.






Official Story -

"Excavations in 1973 revealed a central setting of stones, no longer visible, with cremated bone, charcoal, and grooved ware pottery. Radio-carbon dates from the excavation show that the site dates from at least 3100BC, making the Standing Stones complex one of the earliest stone circles in Britain .There is see a large stone hearth, similar to those found at the Skara Brae coastal settlement from the same period."






Alternative thinking, Our Observations and things to investigate

Again mystery behind this site and what it was used for. Would be great to investigate further, as the Orkney Islands are full of ancient megalithic sites. Possible reasons for their construction range from rituals to energising water using natural telluric energy.




Brodgar Ring




Description - A huge stone circle, 104m in diameter, located between two lochs on the beautiful Orkney Islands . Originally thought to have comprised of 60 stones, of which only 27 remain standing today, showing the level of erosion that has taken place over the years. There was an interesting stone that was hit by lightning in the 80’s and the amount of erosion on the fragments since this occurred also shows the high level of degradation.

The stones are set within a circular ditch up to 3m deep and 9m across that was hewn out of the solid bedrock by the builders. The surrounding area is full of other standing stones and Bronze Age round barrows, one of which remains were found in.



Official Story - Another site for performing rituals


“The Ring of Brodgar comprises a massive ceremonial enclosure and stone circle probably dating from between 2500 and 2000 BC. Around it are at least 13 prehistoric burial mounds and a stone setting (2500-1500 BC). The erecting of the stones, along with the massive rock cut ditch was an activity that required considerable manpower and organisation. Pottery, bones, stone tools and a polished stone mace head have also been discovered in the vicinity of the ring”






Alternative thinking, Our Observations and things to investigate

With so many ruins on the Orkney Islands and this being the largest site more investigation needs to happen here. It is interesting located exactly on the 59° line of latitude so maybe significant in its position on the world-wide grid system the ancients may have used to work out where to build their amazing constructions. I would like to spend along time at this site looking at the mounds, cairns and single standing stones next to the ring and I would love to be able to return with a kit of scientific equipment.




Vestrafiold Quarry




Description - There are a couple of piles of stones in fields and some rock protrusions from the hillside.


Official Story -

"An ancient Quarry on a hillside near Skara Brae. It is a difficult site to find but you can see stones lying on Vestrafiold's hillside and they have deliberate right-angular formations. Recent work at the site has confirmed that megaliths were indeed quarried there and transported the 7.5 miles to the Ness o' Brodgar. Comparatively little effort would have had to have gone into shaping the stones as the Vestrafiold rock splits easily into slabs."


Alternative thinking, Our Observations and things to investigate

How did they cut the rock?? Did they use the same techniques used to shape rocks at Pumapunku or were these easier to manipulate??




Skara Brae




Description - Ancient Settlement in Orkney. Skara Brae is a large well-preserved stone-built Neolithic village that was occupied from roughly 3100-2500 B.C.

The village consists of ten clustered houses, which were sunk into the ground , Intricate passageways
Castlerigg Stone CircleCastlerigg Stone CircleCastlerigg Stone Circle

Pyramid shaped hills not far from the circle
connect most of the dwellings with each other. The typical dwelling contains a large square room containing a large hearth for heating and cooking, ingenious drainage, and a number of stone-built pieces of furniture, including cupboards, seats, storage boxes, and sleeping areas that would have straw or sheep skins possibly making it comfortable.




Official Story - Until an 1850 storm partially unearthed it, Skara Brae lay under years of soil sediment. It was fully excavated between 1928 and 1930 by the famous archaeologist, V. Gordon Childe.

After nearly 600 years of occupation, around 2500 B.C, it appears that the settlement was abandoned. One theory suggests that the weather changed drastically, causing the inhabitants to leave. Another theory claims that it was abandoned because of changes in the nature of Neolithic society from tight-knit communities to a more dispersed one.

The remains of Skara Brae that one sees today -- except for two earlier dwellings -- are from the second phase of it occupation, as they sit above an earlier settlement. The second phase took place about half-way through it occupation.



Alternative thinking, Our Observations and things to investigate

Intriguing because there are fews sites in the world that are so obviously dwellings, I would love to find out if the people that loved here really were part of the Global Megalithic builders from our past.




Long Meg and Her Daughters




Description - Long Meg is a standing stone in Cumbria and her daughters form a large stone circle next to her. This is part of a fascinating Bronze Age site covering quite a large area. The circle is a flattened oval 100m x 93m, originally consisting of around 70 stones but today there are only 59. Long Meg herself is a 3.6 metre standing stone just outside the circle, on the flat surface facing the circle, there are markings and some definite spiral / circle shapes.




Official Story - Aerial photography in 1988 has revealed a huge earthen enclosure to the north of the circle which meets and matches the flattened northerly segment of the ring.

Tradition states that Long Meg and Her Daughters were a coven of witches who were holding their sabbat, some time in the thirteenth century. Michael Scot, a wizard from Scotland, found them so engaged and cast a spell over the assembled company, turning them all into stones.




Alternative thinking, Our Observations and things to investigate

There is another double gate feature that we have seen at previous stone circles. Long Meg is made from a red rock so the geology needs to be investigated for its conductive and energy interacting properties. The spirals are fascinating and can be found all around the world from Sagaro Nat.Park, Arizona to Croatia and David Talbot has suggested that rock art could represent highly charged electrical events that could have taken place in the ancient sky and were 100 times more powerful than the famous Northern Lights.




Rollright Stones




Description - This complex consists of a stone circle made from limestone stones and a standing stone, a cairn, some barrows. The stones in the circle are severely eroded enough to have created holes that people place coins in for luck. Most of the stones stood around a metre but there are 2 larger stones that face each other on either side of the circle. The standing stone is the largest megalith on the complex.



Official Story - Believed to have been a complete wall with no gaps when it was originally constructed and several alignments are connected with the complex. There are so many stories associated with the site I will let the Megalithic Portal tell the story




Alternative thinking, Our Observations and things to investigate

Interesting that there are so many stories attached to the Rollright stones, there are often elements of truth in myths and legends. Interesting also because it lies on the 53° line of latitude so possibly a significant site in the global grid connecting so many of these ancient sites.




Possible Quarry




We stopped at a pile of rocks that stood out in the plain landscape near Landsend. We stopped because it made us think of a quarry. There are many piles of rock that stand on the moors of this part of the world.






Chun Quoit




Description - ‘Quoit’ is the Cornish name for a type of megalithic structure comprising a number of large stones set upright to support a massive horizontal capstone forming a small chamber. The dolmen at Chun is not
Swinside Stone CircleSwinside Stone CircleSwinside Stone Circle

The sedimentary rock
quite as tall as your average man and consists of 4 stones standing upright. It is set in a beautiful panoramic location and sits there like a timeless sculpture silhouetted against the sky. The dolmen sits on a mound and there are other stones built to be part of it.



Official Story - Again a lot of assumptions are made:

“Archaeologists call such sites chambered tombs or portal dolmens, and date them to the 3rd or 4th millennia BC. Stones visible in the top of the mound have been interpreted as the remains of burial boxes or cists. There may have been a ‘forecourt’ in front of the entrance to the chamber which would have provided the setting for funerary rites and rituals. No artefacts or human remains have been found at Chûn, and finds generally from these kinds of monuments are almost unknown in Cornwall due to the acidity of the moorland soils. Comparison with similar monuments elsewhere suggest that they functioned as repositories for safeguarding ancestral remains. There is some evidence - from Neolithic tombs in Wessex for example - that bones were periodically removed and returned or re-arranged. The bones may have featured in ceremonies associated with an ancestor cult; communities at this time were becoming increasingly settled and stable and such rites are thought to represent the attempt to establish hereditary ‘ownership’ of a territory and to develop a communal or tribal identity. It has been noted that many of the quoits are situated in locations with panoramic views often incorporating high hills, rivers or coastal features. This again is taken to reflect the desire to define or control a specific territory and to bring the community into a closer relationship with it by signposting landscape features which figured in communal histories or which enjoyed particular mythical associations.“





Alternative thinking, Our Observations and things to investigate

If this dolmen was a tomb it was for quite small people. One very interesting thing Rich noticed while being at the site was that when inside the dolmen he couldn’t feel the telephone masts that were close by. It is possible that David Talbot is right and that there were highly charged electrical events and that maybe our ancestors built chambers to escape the magnet storms of that time.








A sneak preview into the filming at Chun dolmen.










Lanyon Quiot




Description - This dolmen was even taller standing at around 2 metres with a 2.7m x 5.3m capstone weighing approx. 13.5 tonnes. There were also other stones in the vicinity that looked that they had been placed there on purpose.



Official Story - The chamber was once covered by a long barrow approximately 25m long by 12m wide. There is debate as to whether the dolmen were once covered by a long barrow, and exactly how the dolmen would have looked when it was constructed is hard to imagine as there was damage during a storm in 1815 and the re-construction was supposed to be pretty inaccurate so much so it is said that before the collapse you could sit on horseback beneath it.

Also thought to be used in rituals and ceremonies



Alternative thinking, Our Observations and things to investigate

Much to investigate using scientific equipment to see if the rocks interact with water, ley lines, magnetic energy and to see what is underneath.




The Hurlers Stone Circles




Description - A site on Bodmin Moor with 3 stone circles close together, the smallest and most southerly is 32m across, the central circle is 42m x 40.5m, while the northern circle is 35m across. Nine, seventeen and sixteen stones respectively survive. There are also some standing stones and some stones lying on their sides, inside the circles



Official Story -

"The Hurlers" refers to an old tradition that the circles are men turned to stone.Originally all the circles are said to have contained 29 stones (though the central circle is considerably larger than the other two)"






Alternative thinking, Our Observations and things to investigate

These circles are located directly on the St Michael’s Ley line so could help confirm the positioning of these ancient sites on telluric energy lines and would be a great place to use scientific instruments. There have been suggestions also that the circles are astronomically aligned with the Orion’s Belt.




Trethevy Quoit




Description - This dolmen is one of the best preserved in the U.K and stands 9 ft high and consists of five stones surmounted by a huge capstone. One of the uprights has fallen inwards and the capstone slopes away from the row of cottages it is next to.





Official Story - Again used for rituals, no human bones have been found which is blamed on the acidity of the soil.



Alternative thinking, Our Observations and things to investigate

There is
Swinside Stone CircleSwinside Stone CircleSwinside Stone Circle

The double-gate feature
a curious hole in the capstone and like the other dolmen, we need to bring our equipment for measuring magnetic and electrical influences the stones might have.





Brentnor




Description - St Michael’s church on top of a mound, like the ones at Glastonbury and ‘Burrowbridge Mump’ and all 3 are curiously located on the St Michael’s Ley line.




Alternative thinking, Our Observations and things to investigate

All the St Michael’s churches along the St Michael’s Ley Line suggest that these energy lines are important and that the church builders also knew what the ancient civilisation before us knew about how to use and manipulate these energies.




Stonehenge




I don’t need to say anything really, it’s that famous and there’s that much written about it.

We went before it opened for the tourists so we were able to walk amongst the massive stones and as I stood next to these huge monnuments, which weigh up to 60 tonnes, I thought how difficult it would have been, practically speaking, to move those stones 240 miles across the land and the Bristol Channel.




Alternative thinking, Our Observations and things to investigate

Maybe there is a more complex and advanced reason for this magnificent stone circle than just a big calendar. We should see if there are structures or tunnels under the ground that could possible lead to all the mounds in the area.







So we saw quite a few sites in the 10 day trip around the U.K with examples of all the different types of ancient site and examples that give an indication into what we think about when we visit these sites. When considering what these sites were used for we often hear rituals and ceremonies but we purposefully finished at Avebury because the sheer size of the circle there makes me think that these ancient sites were built for more than just rituals. In my opinion if rituals did take place they allowed people to reach a higher state of consciousness and access dimensions giving the participants psychic abilities or rituals were performed here by people that found the ruins and thought they would use them for their own reasons, much like the Mayan's using Olmec structures for their own purposes.


The Avebury Complex




Description - The Avebury complex consists of a number of sites all located within a few miles of each other. There is The Sanctuary with some mounds next to it, there is Silbury Hill right next door to West Kennett Long Barrow, then there is a Passageway or corridor that leads up to the main stone circles. There are also other structures in the area but we focused on the Long barrow and the Circles as we had limited time.




West Kennett Long Barrow




Description - This is one of Britain's biggest chambered long barrows about half a mile to the west of Silbury Hill. It is more than 100m long and 2.4m high, lying in an East - West orientation with a 10m long interior made up of a corridor and 5 rooms/chambers. The largest stone at the front of the long barrow is huge, 3 metres tall and I would guess around 15 tonnes.



“Built in around 3650 BC and in use for a thousand years before the barrow was sealed with chalk rubble and the gigantic boulders that now guard the entrance, it was used for a short time as a burial chamber before the chambers were blocked. The earth used in its construction was taken from two trenches dug alongside the mound, although these have long since become filled with weathered material. The large stones used in the barrows construction, were brought from the nearby downs, while the smaller stones seem to have been selected and brought from a location over 30 miles away.
The tomb was excavated in 1859 and again from 1955 - 56, during excavation it was revealed that almost 50 people, of varied age groups, were buried within the tomb. These people may have been the ruling elite from the farming community that made the Avebury area its home. Evidence also suggests that the bones (specifically leg bones and skulls) were removed for use elsewhere, although the ceremonies, and the meaning of them will probably never be fully understood. It has been suggested that the bodies were first laid out to rot in a separate place, perhaps the sanctuary at nearby Overton, or as part of the complex rituals that took place at Windmill Hill.
Folklore & Legend
The mound is traditionally visited by a white spectral figure accompanied by a white red-eared hound at sunrise on Midsummer's day. There is a slim possibility that this tradition is a folk memory of a ritual event or at least a time thought to have been significant in the use of the barrow.
There is no doubt that some traditions can become convoluted into folklore, and be passed down over the centuries, whether this is the case with West Kennet Long Barrow has never been explored.
The strange atmosphere of the darkened chamber, and its associations in folklore and legend has led to it being used by modern day pagans and occultists.”





Alternative thinking, Our Observations and things to investigate

Peter Knight has written extensively about the barrow at West Kennet and has a personal connection with this sacred site, he feels he has spent time there in a previous life and he scattered his father’s ashes at the barrow in the hope of connecting with him in the afterlife. Since the strewing of the ashes, which Peter wrote about in his novel Thirteen Moons, Peter has felt his father's presence at the long barrow several times: “He has appeared and/or spoken to me in my thoughts during shamanic journeys and in meditation. He told me that I have a responsibility to the ancestors - because I am an ancestor. We all are.” He has walked all around the area and regularly maintains the place, collecting litter etc so who better to give his opinion about alternative thinking about the goings-on here.

He feels West Kennet was more a place for the living than the dead and thinks the site is now coming back to life on so many levels - as a stellar and lunar observatory, nexus of earth energies and leys, gateway to the earth goddess, portal to paranormal activity, shrine of sacred geometry, sanctum of the shaman where shadowy simulacra, both human and animal, flow from the old stones and the stones may have acoustical properties.

His book - West Kennet Long Barrow: Landscape, Shamans and the Cosmos – details much of Peter’s thinking


West Kennet Avenue




Description - The West Kennet Avenue runs for an incredible 2.5km, a corridor flanked by 2 rows of stones approx. 20m apart, although there are plenty of missing stones.



Official Story - Some burials have been found at the bottom of some of the stones. Aubrey Burl suggests that avenues such as this were built in stretches, over the years, by different generations of the population. There is likely male / female imagery in many of the stone shapes, and their arrangement in relation to one another is probably significant.



Alternative thinking, Our Observations and things to investigate

The purpose for this corridor is hard to work out, rituals and ceremonies no doubt. One of the stones emits a particularly strong energy which when touched seems to make your hand tingle and even travels up your arm. Possibly a very significant structure
Cairnpapple HillCairnpapple HillCairnpapple Hill

The UFO covered in grass
when considering the global construction project that took place to build all these sites around the world.


Avebury Stone Circles




Description - The world's biggest stone circle in Wiltshire, with a diameter of approx. 500m and so big it has the remains of two inner circular features inside it and even a little village. Its exterior circle comprises some 100 menhirs, although there are 180 standing stones in total. The stones used are huge, with an average weight of 40 tons but there has been a lot of damage here and the circle is far from complete. There is also a ditch and a bank that surrounds the circle with a 1.5km circumference and a height of 17m.



Official Story -

“The monuments were constructed around 3700BC, as demonstrated by abundant ceramic samples found on the site. These complexes would have been of major significance to those who created them, as is apparent by the huge investment of time and effort they represent (it is estimated that 1.5 million Man-hours were required). They provide an insight into the mortuary and ceremonial practices of the period, and are evidence of prehistoric technology, architecture, and astronomy. Although the ritual function of the monument is not known in detail, the cosmic references of its structure appear to be essential. The old theory that the site was a sanctuary for worship of the Sun, although not the subject of unanimous agreement among prehistorians, is nevertheless illustrated by the yearly Midsummer Day ceremony during which there is a folkloric procession of bards and druids at Stonehenge.”






Alternative thinking, Our Observations and things to investigate

Aubrey Burl in the book ‘The Avebury Cycle’, in which he discusses the relationship between the different features in the local landscape, including the local springs. He suggests these springs, such as the one at Swallowhead, between the West Kennet Barrow and Silbury Hill had special significance to the ancient inhabitants of the area.

One of my favourite connections to Avebury comes from work published by Richard Hoagland. In 1992 he presented evidence for a
">Hyper-Dimensional Physics model, to the United Nations, in which he makes crucial connections between ancient structures on the landscape of the planet Mars and the ruins of ancient civilizations on Earth. In particular he overlays a map of Cydonia on Mars and Avebury in England and shows striking similarities between the layouts of the two locations. Well worth a watch!!!

An interesting thing to consider when we look at the world-wide grid system is that Avebury is exactly 1/7th of the circumference of the plant north of the equator – the site sits on the 51.428016° of latitude and 360/7 = 51.42857.





-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------





That concludes our trip – In a couple of months we will release our documentary

“Field of Stones – as they built them we will come”

We hope that this will be the start of ‘Modern Explorers’ filming projects as we would like to document the massive numbers of megalithic sites around the world.


-




Additional photos below
Photos: 134, Displayed: 47


Advertisement

Cairnpapple HillCairnpapple Hill
Cairnpapple Hill
Cairnpapple HillCairnpapple Hill
Cairnpapple Hill

With stones around a mound
Cairnpapple HillCairnpapple Hill
Cairnpapple Hill

Holes around the mound
Cairnpapple HillCairnpapple Hill
Cairnpapple Hill
Cairnpapple HillCairnpapple Hill
Cairnpapple Hill

There was a ditch as well
Knock Stone CircleKnock Stone Circle
Knock Stone Circle

Built in 1998 by a farmer
Knock Stone CircleKnock Stone Circle
Knock Stone Circle
Knock Stone CircleKnock Stone Circle
Knock Stone Circle

We were'nt expecting this site...
Knock Stone CircleKnock Stone Circle
Knock Stone Circle

...which made us think it was modern...
Knock Stone CircleKnock Stone Circle
Knock Stone Circle

...plus I've never seen one with a dolmen in the middle
Lundin LinksLundin Links
Lundin Links

Standing stones on a golf course
Lundin LinksLundin Links
Lundin Links
Lundin LinksLundin Links
Lundin Links
Lundin LinksLundin Links
Lundin Links

The stones were 14-18ft tall
Lundin LinksLundin Links
Lundin Links

The stones were leaning...
Lundin LinksLundin Links
Lundin Links

...and leaning in different directions
Lundin LinksLundin Links
Lundin Links
Lundin LinksLundin Links
Lundin Links

Filming


31st March 2013

Great project.
Enjoyed the blog. Thanks for sharing.

Tot: 0.788s; Tpl: 0.022s; cc: 14; qc: 46; dbt: 0.069s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb