Scottish Borders - May 2022


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom
May 21st 2022
Published: May 22nd 2022
Edit Blog Post

Wednesday 11thMay 2022 .

To blog or not to blog! We were off to Scotland via a wedding at Wyresdale Park at Scorton, near Lancaster and then an Air B&B for a few days at Bassenthwaite in the Lake District with Chris’ siblings!

The wedding was brilliant, and our time in the AirB&B was good as well, with various meals out and walks but we left at10.00am on Wednesday 11th May to go to the Scottish Borders via Silloth, a lovely old Victorian seaside place.

It was another wild day as we crossed the Border on the A7, with showers, cloud but lots of sun! Our first stop was 16th Century Gilnockie Tower and the Armstrong Clan. Drove along a small road and at first didn’t see the tower as it was quite small! Went into the shop, Chris climbed the tower whilst I took photos of the sheep and river, and chatted to the lady in the shop!!

We didn’t see Malcolms Monument and passed Riddell Monument that we were unable to walk to, and drove onto Elm Hotel at Hawick (pronounced Hoik!!) It was beautiful weather now so we had a good wander around the old historic town before eating at a fantastic Italian Restaurant that Chris had spotted driving in!!



Thursday 12th May 2022

The Day of the Abbeys!! The weather wasn’t too bad so we first went to Jedburgh to see its abbey – quite Impressive although all the abbeys are now closed off to the public wandering around inside them due to the fact they are unsafe!! Had a good old wander and then walked uphill to the Jail! Mega loads of info as you wandered round that we didn’t really have time to read – basically it was a jail and the people and children weren’t treated very nicely!! Walked back down the hill afterwards to Mary Queen of Scots house. It was a typical Borders House – usually in a ‘T’ or ‘L’ shape (this was an ‘L’!!) which meant they could see any unwanted visitors very easily, they had small windows and were quite dark inside. Also there were no steps inside the house so once inside they were relatively safe! I didn’t walk up the three storeys but it was basically a museum!

Onto Kelso where we also saw the Abbey after walking along the cobbled streets and across the huge pleasant square. Infact it was so pleasant we sat in the square and had some lunch, - I had Stovie – a new one for me – it was potato, onion and corned beef mashed up! A quick walk to peer at the river completed the trip!!

Our next stop was Floor Castle! It was enormous – very impressive and a definite wow!! They had an International Horse Trial on, so we were unable to do the river walk (whew!!) and contented ourselves with wandering around the walled gardens and the bluebell woods. The walled garden was magnificent (not particularly colourful as between seasons!) but there were just so many plants which would bloom in the summer. It was going to be sooo colourful.

Our last stop was Melrose! We had been there before (but couldn’t remember it!!) Duly paid to go into the Abbey gardens and had a good look round! A quick walk around the village completed the visit!

Our evening meal was a bit of an issue! Yesterday, we had decided, to eat in Brodies Restaurant – but it was shut! Tried in the little restaurant two doors away (that was supposed to be open until 9.00pm and it was only 7.00pm!) and the girl said they weren’t having anyone else in!! We then went to ‘The Laughing Buddah’ Chinese restaurant but they weren’t having any ‘sit downs’. Thwarted, we smuggled a chinese takeaway back to the hotel!! And very nice it was too!!! 68miles



Friday 13th May 2022 Well – it started off sunny and weatherwise, went downhill fast! After breakfast and buying a blue/yellow rosette in Hawick( they are Ukraine colours but also the colours of Hawick, which explained a lot!!) we took the A701 to Moffat via Selkirk. We didn’t stop in Selkirk as there didn’t seem a lot to see but drove straight up onto the moors. Lovely scenery (it would have been much better with a blue sky but by now the cloud had kicked in! ) and we drove for miles along the twisty, potholed road, following the River Yarrow to St Marys Loch.

It was quite choppy as the wind seemed to be getting up and we watched a little boat riding the waves! Carried on, spectacular scenery as the road went downhill and over little bridges, to the Grey Mare’s Tail Nature Reserve. Stopped here as there is the 5th highest waterfall in the country and went to the viewing point to observe it! It was blowing a gale by now, and some people were attempting to walk up to the top of it, despite the wind! We stayed at the bottom!!

Carried on along the narrow road until we reached Moffat. Had a good wander round the shops as it had started to rain by now!! Stopped in Hugos opposite the granite sheep(recommended!) for some lunch and then drove onto the Devils Beef Tubs, where basically a 500 metre hole is formed when four hills meet. Still blowing a gale and raining so we missed most of the spectacular scenery, even though you could see how nice it would have been, and went straight to our hotel. Sheildhill Castle Hotel. 80miles



Saturday 14th May 2022 What a difference a day makes!! Awoke to blue skies and sunshine – a lovely day!! First went to Peebles and had a walk along the high street and then by the river. Drove onto Scotlands oldest inhabited house - Traquair. It was basically an old hunting lodge that has been added to over the years, but it has been visited by 27 Scottish Monarchs and has close associations with Mary Queen of Scots and the Jacobites. We even saw a shoe that had been worn by Mary, Queen of Scots!

Onward to Dawyck Botanical Gardens – home to one of Scotlands finest tree collections – the Douglas fir tree being named after David Douglas, a Scottish plant hunter. We were a little bit early for the azaleas but there were plenty of rhododendrums and bluebells around.

Back to Biggar to find somewhere to eat. Mmmmm….could be a problem as its quite a small place but we asked in a coffee shop and were directed to The Crown where despite not booking, we both had a very enjoyable meal! Recommended!! 58 miles

Sunday 15th May 2022 Despite a good forecast we woke up to a few spots of rain that turned into showers on and off most of the day. We had decided not to go into Glasgow for the day as it was too complicated with public transport and parking, and went instead across country via Kilmarnock, to Saltcoats! A bit run down but we managed to get a good cup of coffee and fed the swans with some bread a person had very kindly given us!!

Drove up the coast road and caught the ferry from Largs to Great Cumbrae Island (I had never heard of it either!!) Only an eight minute ferry crossing and we were on the what seemed to be a very deserted island, apart from loads of oyster catchers! Until we turned the corner, and found Millport! A delightful little town, well I suppose it is classed as a City because it has a Cathedral (?) and we ambled along the sea front looking for a lunch stop. Ended up with deep fried pizza – my favourite – NOT!!! The weather was brightening up a little so we drove round the other side of the island (its about 10 miles altogether) back to the ferry! After our compulsory ice cream we drove along the Forth of Clyde to the Mutha hotel at Erskine Bridge.

Mutha Hotel is definitely NOT recommended!! Its like Fawlty Towers!! After being told that the lift was out of order (and has been for 2 weeks!) we got one of the bar staff to escort us to the third floor via a service lift that we had to walk 5 minutes to. The room and power shower were fine with views of the river and Erskine Bridge. Went downstairs via concrete fire escape stairs for dinner in their restaurant, only to have the bar staff tell us to come back in ½ hour as we hadn’t booked and the restaurant was full (there was about 50 empty tables!!) but a coach party was due! Chris duly booked in for 7.30pm and we were then allowed to sit in the posh dining room. Food was ok – she delivered the wet cutlery to us about 5mins after dinner was served and I had no salt with my chips! Minor!!. As we were about to tackle the stairs back up to the 3rd floor, the French coach party came in, with all their luggage!! Mmmm….worth sitting in reception area to see what would happen! Well, they had to take their cases up the stairs to the 2nd or 3rd floor – we ended up in the middle of them, Chris forever the gentleman, offered to carry one of their cases up the stairs!!. I really don’t know how the chef is going to cope if he had a hissy fit when we turned up!! Oh …. And the hotel windows were filthy!!! 117 miles

Monday 16th May 2022

Left the Hotel after fiasco getting luggage back down in the Service Lift! The lift didn’t work, we had to wait in a really messy room with ½ empty water bottles, ironing boards, shopping trolleys etc and we heard all this banging down on the second floor while they were trying to ’fix’ it! Anyway, it must have worked because the lift finally arrived, complete with pieces of concrete in the corner!! Whew!

Drove over Erskine Bridge to Loch Lomond where the weather was steadily getting worse. They had quite large waves on the loch!! Boat trips were off!! Wandered around Luss and looked at the church in the rain, and then decided to go back to Balloch to go to the Birds of Prey Centre. There were no flying shows as it was raining and the birds were mostly sat on their perches, undercover, looking pretty sorry for themselves. A lot of them had been rescued.

Had lunch in a Garden Centre and did some shopping!

The rain was still hammering down, no views to be had anywhere so after driving to Aberfoyle, we gave up and went to the Antiques Centre between Callander and Doune. After visiting the tea shop had a good wander around the antique centre, nearly buying a few things, and then not!

Made our way to Crags Inn Callander where they had a toasty fire in the bar, and our room was really hot! Felt warm for the first time today!!!



Tuesday 17th May 2022

Yay! Woke up to cloud but there were patches of blue sky, so it was with anticipation and hope we set off to look at the scenery around the Trossachs! Our first stop was the Falls of Leny – disappointed as we didn’t have a view of the river or waterfalls!! Drove on, past Loch Lubnaig and carried on the A84 and A85 to Crianlarich. There was a little bit of snow on Stob Binnein and the weather started closing in and it started raining….again!!

Went to Inveruglas to see if there were any boat trips and ended up at Tarbet where we caught the 11.45am boat for a tour of Lock Lomond! We sailed up to the Inversnaid Hotel and saw wild goats and masses of bluebells as well! As the rain had set in for the day around the loch, we went to Stirling which was just cloudy!! Drove up, with the intention of visiting the castle but at £14.50 each plus £4.00 for parking decided it wasn’t worth it!! Took photos of the outside and then wandered around the town before going to the Common at Callander for a quick gander and then to the Crown Hotel to eat! Recommended…especially the Scottish Salmon!!



Wednesday 18th May 2022 A travelling day!! We were making our way down, leaving Scotland, to The Angel of the North. Drove back along to Stirling then took the A68 all the way down passing the David Stirling, founder of the SAS, monument and also the ‘Kelpies’ that are giant horse head sculptures (30 metres high – the largest in the world) between Falkirk and Grangemouth. Visited Morningside in Edinburgh and saw Chris’ old haunts, including his old house! Also saw from a distance Edinburgh Castle and Arthurs seat!! Lovely scenery most of the way down on the A68, with fields of rape dominating the landscape. The Cheviot Hills were quite spectacular with lumps and bumps everywhere and a road that snaked upwards via horseshoe bends, to the Border of Scotland and England united in 1606! Turned right to stay of the A68 and were treated to miles and miles of hilly roads with blind humps, hidden dips, straight with sharp corners. You could definitely tell that the Romans had been there!! Stayed in Bowes Incline Hotel that was supposed to have views of the Angel of the North – but the trees have grown!! However it is a very nice room and so far recommended!



Thursday 19th May 2022 – Awoke to a fine sunny day, with blue skies at 6.30am, but by the time we had breakfast ( superb!) etc it was cloudy! We thought we would drive to The Angel of the North – ready to drive off afterwards – just as well we did because it was a huge series of complicated roads and roundabouts!! The Angel of the North was quite spectacular! The arms are just so wide!!However, we viewed it from all angles, walked around it. Took the A1(M) down to Durham where we had a quick stop to have a wander round the old town and cathedral, both of which were delightful. We then then took the A1 (M) and A19 to Osmotherley for another break! There was a small priory and after having a quick lunch in their café, checked to see if we could go in the gardens. Mmmmm…..First of all the Rottweiler of a woman asked us if we were English Heritage Members (No……there aren’t many houses in Wales!) National Trust Members (No…lapsed!) CADW members – YES – we said thinking she would just let us in (They were very small gardens!) but no….Chris looked for his CADW card and couldn’t find it, so she escorted him to the car to look for it! It had also lapsed (most things have?!) and the RSPB didn’t count!!! By now I had taken all the photos I needed but we never did get to see the gardens!!!

Anyway, drove down to Sheffield via M1 where we stayed with friends for two days who treated us to a very picturesque village of Castleton and a sculpture walk in the grounds of Chatsworth!!

Left on Saturday 21st May for grandsons birthday BBQ in Bristol…dumped our cases at home, then went to Abertillary Blues Festival getting home at about 10.30pm!!


Additional photos below
Photos: 93, Displayed: 32


Advertisement



Tot: 0.251s; Tpl: 0.029s; cc: 10; qc: 37; dbt: 0.0884s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 5; ; mem: 1.2mb