Stratford on Avon, London


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom
October 5th 2018
Published: October 5th 2018
Edit Blog Post

Heading out on coach at 8:01 towards the M1, which we will be on most of the day. The M1 is the longest motorway in England.This will be a long driving day.

Had a great visit to Stratford-on-Avon. Saw Shakespeare’s birth house, many black and white half timbered houses, a darling town, and Trinity Church where Shakespeare is buried with his family.

Below is info from internet on Stratford-upon-Avon:

“Stratford-upon-Avon, a medieval market town in England’s West Midlands, is the 16th-century birthplace of William Shakespeare. Possibly the most famous writer in the English language, Shakespeare is known for his sonnets and plays such as 'Romeo and Juliet' and 'Hamlet'. The Royal Shakespeare Company performs his plays in the Royal Shakespeare Theatre and adjacent Swan Theatre on the banks of the River Avon.”

Drove through The Cotswalds on way to London and saw Blenheim, Winston Churchills’s ancestral home through the gates. Partly cloudy most of the day, but warmed up pretty nicely. Our day has been lovely.

We should be in London around 5:00 local time. I am working on this on the coach and may go ahead and post from here before we get to London...just because I can...until I couldn’t!! After a potty break stop, the driver neglected to turn the WiFi back on so I have had to wait until we got to our home for the next five nights—The Doubletree Victoria. The good news is that I got in a couple of London pictures for today!

Our room is very nice albeit a little small by American standards...no complaints—it is very comfortable. We have unloaded and settled in a little and plan to go out and get a light bite to eat. We have had a very good day with a The Tower of London to look forward to seeing tomorrow.


Additional photos below
Photos: 35, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



5th October 2018

Another day of great pictures
Shakespeare had pretty nice house loved John at the writing table. Pat also looked great in that picture. Thanks for Blogging can't wait to see the London pictures because we will be there in May. If you have any left over pounds keep them and we will buy from you. Any coins keep too.
6th October 2018

Left over pounds...
Will do Lora. We may have some left over and if we do, that would help both of us.
5th October 2018

Tips and Tricks
We will want all tips and tricks and best spots to see in London we will discuss after you get home. Thanks much. hugs
5th October 2018

Shakespeare
Love the Shakspear house and the country houses. Ok John waiting on the great play you just wrote! Loved the sign in the chapel were Shakespeare is buried say you'll be cursed if you move his bones..? Enjoying your blogs.....
6th October 2018

Tower of London
Be sure they show you the gallows where Anne Bolin was beheaded at the Tower of London. Fascinating ! Also hope you get to see The Crown Jewels!
8th October 2018

'With safest distance I mine honour shielded.'
A quote from Shakespeare to celebrate your visit to his home town. Alas, he would not have known that the M6 is actually Britain's longest motorway (M6 = 232 miles, M1 = 193.5 miles)! :0)

Tot: 0.06s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 10; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0378s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb