Top 5 Destinations for Skateboarders in UK


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom
February 26th 2018
Published: February 26th 2018
Edit Blog Post

As the number of people enjoying skateboarding rises, so does the number of skateparks around the world. This is particularly true when it comes to places where the skateboarding culture has been present for decades. What once started as a simple pastime for boys has become a global phenomenon, with people of all ages using various types of skateboards throughout the year.

The UK is famous for some of the best skate parts in this part of the world. Some of them are indoor parks that can be used all year round, while others offer skaters an opportunity to practice and have fun outdoors. It’s not easy to say which park is the best, because they all have some specific features and it’s completely up to you to choose the one that you find attractive and which is within your reach. Here are just five of many destinations in the UK where you can really hone your skateboarding skills.

Projekts MCR – Manchester



Let’s start from the northwest. Projekts MCR is the most renowned skatepark in Manchester and this area. It’s conveniently located in the heart the city, very close to the main train station. The park welcomes both skateboarders and BMX rides of all ages, but children under seven need to be accompanied by an adult.

If you’re looking for ramps, stairs, boxes and ledges, you can find it all here. It’s not an indoor park strictly speaking, but there is a flyover which protects adventure-seekers from the elements, which is essential given the amount of rain that Manchester receives. There is also an option to take lessons and learn the basics or improve your skating skills. In a nutshell, a great place with everything you need.

Unit 23 – Dumbarton



This huge indoor park is the perfect choice if you’re looking for something more traditional. Spread over three halls, it offers ramps, rails, bowls, quarter-pipes and boxes. Some of the most popular features are the foam pit and the resi-ramp, which both provide soft landing areas, necessary for practicing a new trick for the first time.

The park is open throughout the year, except during Christmas holidays. Like many other parks, it also boasts staff ready to coach skaters and BMX riders, but you have to be ready to take such lessons outside the regular opening hours, which is perfect for beginners.

House Of Vans

– London

Being the biggest and most popular city in the UK, London boasts many skateparks and it’s really tough to say which one is the best. One that would definitely be shortlisted is House of Vans, built in the disused tunnels underneath Waterloo station.

Tunnel four is particularly interesting, because it’s ideal for both those doing professional tricks and those using popular cruiser skateboards. Being a popular park in the capital, it is often visited by some of legendary skaters, such as Curren Caples and Christian Hosoi.

Radlands Skatepark – Northampton



Originally just an indoor skatepark, Radlends has become one of the best parks in the country, welcoming both skaters and BMX riders. Following the construction of new park on the same location in 2012, it became an outdoor space with plenty of ramps, rails, and ledges for riders to enjoy.

The obvious problem is that it can be tricky to enjoy doing tricks on a wet day, but on the other hand, it’s completely free of charge. So, if you’re lucky, you might have some great time without paying any money.

Rampworx – Liverpool



Finally, one of the most impressive parks is located in Liverpool. The sheer size of this indoor park is awe-inspiring and Rampworx can really cater to any need a skater or rider might have. You can learn the ropes or hone your skills in various areas of the park, without worrying about the elements. The foam pit is exquisite, with three points of entry, and there aren’t many places better for practicing some difficult trick without fear of getting injured.



As you can see, each of the five parks offer something unique and your only task is to choose the one that suits you the most and have some fantastic time!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.391s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 40; dbt: 0.0831s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb