Destination - Hawaii - 5 Travel Tips


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Hawaii
March 12th 2018
Published: March 12th 2018
Edit Blog Post

The cobalt blue Pacific waters, spectacular sunrises and sunsets atop Haleakala volcano, and golden-sand beaches are just a tip of the iceberg to what Hawaiian Islands have to offer. They don’t call it an adventurer’s dream for nothing. These Polynesian isles are the perfect destination if you long for a tropical holiday, because you can enjoy a plethora of wonderful activates, see mesmerizing scenery and stay in some of the best accommodations.

Avoid peak seasons



Before you visit Hawaii, it’s important to know that travelling off-season can be much more affordable. What’s more, if you happen to arrive in Hawaii during Christmas breaks or somewhere in the middle of the U.S. school holiday season, you can easily feel like the island is overcrowded. Not only will you have to deal with impossible traffic jams, insanely high accommodation prices, but also you won’t be able to enjoy the beaches and hiking trails to the fullest due to the high concentration of tourists.

What to pack



Depending on the time of the year you plan to visit Hawaii, you’ll need a slightly different wardrobe. If you are flying there during summer ‒ between May and October ‒ plan for a lot of lightweight pieces, as well as a few swimsuits and stylish cover-ups. Hiking shoes and a rain jacket are essentials since some parts of the islands tend to be rainy. A sun hat and a pair of stylish shades will protect you from the sun while keeping you trendy. Don’t forget to shop for a few stylish playsuits in the USA before you head out to the tropical parts of the world, and have a perfect outfit for either a night out or a day of sightseeing. If on the other hand, you go to Hawaii between November and April, you’ll experience a slightly cooler weather, so make sure you throw in a light sweater, and a rain jacket, in case you catch a few windy days. Leave your high heels at home, and bring plenty of flats instead. Don’t forget mosquito repellent, dry sacks and waterproof pouches, reef shoes, and a good sunscreen.

Places you should visit



The biggest question before going to Hawaii is which islands you should visit. From six “main” islands, every one of them is unique and worth visiting, so whether you go to Molokai, Big Island, Kauai, Maui, Oahu or Lanai, you’ll have an unforgettable vacation. Oahu is perfect for shopping, cultural sights, road trips and various water activities such as surfing and snorkeling. You can attend beautiful luau shows on Maui, go “off the grid” on Molokai, enjoy scenic drives on The Big Island or go hiking on Kauai.

Accommodation



Hawaii offer a wide range of accommodation options. However, it’s important that you book your accommodation early on, because supply doesn’t always match the demand. Maui, the Big Island and Kauai offer mostly resorts, so they’re perfect for couples and families. You can also rent a fully furnished condo, if you prefer a bigger privacy than a resort offers. Some of the other options include bed and breakfast, which is great for those who would like to mingle with the locals. Couchsurfing, backpacker hostels, camping and volunteering are perfect for adventurers, so you can consider those as well if you plan for a riveting vacation.

Travelling between the islands



If you decide to visit more than just one island, you’ll need to book domestic inter-island flights. It’s important to remember that some islands have more than one airport, so plan for your accommodation and car hire accordingly. Not all islands are directly connected by flights, so check which are connected, so you don’t have to connect only in Honolulu.

Final thoughts





A trip to Hawaii will certainly be one of the most memorable vacations of your life. However, in order to have a spectacular experience, make sure you don’t hit the peak season, so you can enjoy a less crowded island and not spend as much money as you would mid-season. Pack appropriate wardrobe, visit the main islands and enjoy all the wonders of these Polynesian isles to the fullest.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.148s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 12; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0393s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb