Wrexham County Borough 57 - It's beginning to feel a lot like Christmas /A Victorian Christmas Market /Hot chestnuts/fairground organs and Ferris wheel rides


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » Wales » Wrexham
December 10th 2021
Published: December 10th 2021
Edit Blog Post

Who would have thought it? Us at a Victorian market . This time last year we were worrying that we would not be moving . The upcoming date for exchange was just around the corner and we were on the verge of pulling out of the sale . And now where do we find ourselves a year later . In Wales, In Wrexham and still in the midst of a Covid pandemic . What a difference a year makes.

It's beginning to feel a lot like Christmas - everywhere we go. The words of the Christmas song seemed to come at me from everywhere I went . From out of shops , on the radio and TV and even at the local village coffee morning . We are trying to get in the Christmas feeling. Lights are being strung up on houses in our village . Christmas trees are for sale everywhere you look and are appearing in almost every household . We have a tree to put up and decorations to hunt out but each day I keep putting the deed off . One day I am out doing something or other . Then there is work . Something gets in the way of the tree every day . Today is no exceptions . It is our first real Welsh Christmas as you cannot compare last year when we were in lockdown and sitting amongst packing cases full of our belongings .

The weather was distinctly wintery. Cold winds and rain all brought in with Storm Barra - the second storm of the winter . The river was up but not yet to levels where our phones ping and warn us of a flood alert . More rain is expected and we are warned of some surface flooding and fields that will begin to look like lakes . We headed off to Shropshire first . Back into Eig ngland where only a few days ago Boris enacted Plan B. That was get on with your Christmas parties but start to wear masks . Work at home if you can . Things are not good in 10 Downing Street and it is not all about Covid at the moment . We drove over the hill talking about what we were going to have to eat as we were heading for Etsios our now new favourite Italian restaurant . Veal again for me I said . I enjoyed it so much last time . Why change ? Chicken wrapped in Parma Ham shouted the driver . Pudding - I am going to try what you had last time the Crema Catalina said the driver and I thought to sample a lemon mousse with raspberries and shortbread . The road ahead was blocked and we found ourselves having to drive the long way round , down muddy pot ridden lanes . The car looked as if she had been through a rally by the end of it . Etsios was crowded . At 12.15 many of the tables were taken . We ordered a couple of wines to take the chill of the day away while waiting for our secondi course . My veal was as tender and delicious as last time . The drivers chicken scored 8 which seemed mean when he said it was delicious but not as good as the veal he ate last time . The puddings scored highly and were washed down with double espressos . It was time to head home to Wales to warm up before heading out again for the Victorian market .

Warmed up it was time to put on thick coats , scarves , gloves and hats to fend off the cold of the night . The town was buzzing . Parking was difficult to find but find some we did and leaving Ziggy we walked into town . The rain drizzled down but that had not kept the Christmas revellers out of town . The shops were closed but all had made the effort to decorate their windows with lights and decorations . The town had gone to town with coloured lights hanging from lampposts and curtains of lights draped across the road . Large Christmas trees were lit up. It felt magical . So many people , some sitting in pubs having a christmas drink , restaurants full to the brim . Mums and dads with their children standing on corners talking or queing for the Hot Dog/Burger Stalls, the Candyfloss and the Hot roasted chestnuts . The stalls were all decorated and music came from each of them , Some of the stallholders were dressed in costume as Victorian society in all its guises . Even Queen Victoria put in an appearance although we must have missed her . Church Street was lined with stalls selling presents, wrapping paper and decorations and the rest of the 100's of stalls lined Hope Street right up to Queens Square . It was here that an old fairground organ had been set up. Traditional music blared out as the wooden characters banged the drums and blew their trumpets. The children stood open mouth amazed at the sounds and sights of such a common feature known to our grandparents but lost to the young generation. Through the open door at the back we could see how it worked . Even when you see how it works you still stand in amazement at the ingenuity of the Victorians .

A fairground carousel had been set up in the square . The brightly painted horses were being slowly climbed on by laughing children and equally smiling adults . The banner above the carousel told us proudly who built it and that it was built in the year 1896. Slowly it began to go round and round . We stood mesmerised before moving on to the ferris wheel . An old fashioned one with open carriages which were suspended in mid air. Not as high as the Chesterfield Wheel this one would give pleasure to anyone who felt brave enough to climb into a carriage which swung back and to in the wind . No way was I going to go on that one .

We made our way back across the market and for a short while it felt as if we were back in Europe at a Christmas market. It made us sad to think that for the second Christmas we would be at home and not travelling to France for the festive season . We should today have been travelling on the train to Calais . The market had to be the closest thing we would get to a Christmas market in France. I suppose we had to feel thankful that at least this year the Christmas town market had opened . Last year it fell victim to Covid Lockdown . It did begin to feel a little more nomal if that was possible and it certainly felt a lot like Christmas . .

Advertisement



10th December 2021

And a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you!!!
I do miss those European Christmas Markets with Jagertea or Gluwein to keep warm.
11th December 2021

Christmas
Happy Christmas to you too Bob and the family. Yes I miss the markets too and the mulled wine . It seems a lifetime since I was wandering around Honfleur christmas market on my own . Our window of travel has virtually shut again . Europe is in a terrible state with Covid. We are upping the booster doses and hoping for the best . Keepn safe

Tot: 0.075s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0451s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb