Wrexham County Borough 43 Wrexham - Bumbles Cafe/a quaint corner of the town/Autumn is coming


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » Wales » Wrexham
July 31st 2021
Published: July 31st 2021
Edit Blog Post

A year ago today the window repairer had come out to repair Gabbys windscreen. We had ordered our Tyre Pal and fitted them to Gabbys wheels . After a year one has failed but then a battery probably has failed . They don't last forever. We took Gabby for a ride. We were talking about an upcoming holiday. It was Day 130 of Covid. The last day of July. It is the last day of July today. The warm weather courtesy of the Gulf Stream has disappeared . It is far colder . Less warm weather . Weather more suited to Autumn rather than high Summer. A gun metal grey sky that promises rain.

In a way little has changed in a year. Covid is still with us . We have had no holiday since Christmas 2019. It looks as if we won't get a holiday this side of Christmas . We no longer live in Derbyshire. This time last year we were in the middle of trying to sell our home and move to Wales . A time of taking folks around the house . Feeling frustrated and working from home .

On my riverside walk I began to notice the signs of Autumn. The flowers were taking on a Autumnal appearance. Purple Knapweed, Bulrushes, Phlox , Japanese Anemone and the Rowan berries turning red. Even the leaves on the trees were taking on a bronze hue . The nights have started to draw in. Slowly but surely it is no longer light so late on into the evening . By 9.30 the darkness is closing in on us. The roses are out though . Rambling over the sheds and garages. "It was June and the world smelled of roses " So said Maud Hart Lovelace . I changed it to its July and it still smells of the roses . And the Mock Orange and Jasmine . The heady scent of Honeysuckle fills the July air. Autumn is just around the corner and I begin to wonder what Autumn will bring us this year .

I had been swimming . Fewer lengths than I managed this time last year . I was not in a hurry to get home . I had chance to wander around the town before it came to life . I walked past Crown Buildings . I worked there many years ago . The three story building had taken on a new lease of life . New colourful panels covered the old bland walls . New windows completed the picture . I was bade a cheery good morning lovely . This came from from the drop outs who slept the night in the Peace Gardens . I smiled back and shouted morning . The town was quiet . The shops had not opened and the office staff had not arrived . I headed for Charles Street . I had no idea where it got its name from . It was described as a quaint old street with a variety of shops . From dental to beauty, from opticians to clothing shops . A range of flower shops , cafe and taxi ranks . It is not a long street but it is pedestrianised . I could almost have been abroad . It did not feel like the rest of the town. An oasis in the middle of an ordinary town. Window boxes and planters were filled with brightly coloured flowers . Trees lined the street . I stood at the bottom of the street the Feather pub to one side of me . In 1892 the public house had housed a smoke room, a commercial room a number of well furnished bedrooms , stabling for 30 horses and a coach house. To my right The Wynnstay Arms . A much grander affair named after the local family the Watkins Wynns who lived at Wynnstay. In 1876 the Wynnstay was the important building were a committee met to form the Football Association of Wales . They orgainised the first national team to represent Wales . The hotel possessed a Regency style ballroom which was home of the Jacobite Circle of the White Rose . An organisation that caused much trouble in the town . In 1892 the hotel sat in 8 acres of land , its reception housed a collection of stuffed birds and stags heads . It stabled 200 horses . Of course over the years the council wanted to demolish the building but complaints meant that in the end the rear was demolished and the facade left intact . The new hotel grew up behind it .

As I walked up the street I passed barbers shops and I remembered a cobblers . Sadly the cobblers had long gone . So had Bumbles . Bumbles was the best cafe in town . The building was now neglected and empty . How I missed stopping for a coffee in Bumbles . It would have have loved to have gone in and enjoyed an espresso .

Advertisement



Tot: 0.099s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 10; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0546s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb