Pembrokeshire Coastal Path - rest day in Pembroke


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » Wales » Pembrokeshire » Pembroke
July 21st 2023
Published: July 21st 2023
Edit Blog Post

We had a pretty busy agenda for today.

Yesterday afternoon and at dinner we all searched for a place for Chuck to buy new shoes for the walk. The soles and heels of both shoes started coming off at the end of yesterday's walk.

I contacted our taxi transfer service about taking us to Tenby to a sporting goods store called Millets.

Michael called to confirm that he could take Chuck and I on this round trip to Tenby. When we got back to Pembroke he would take the five of us to see St Govans Hermit Hut on the coast at the eastern edge of Castlemartin firing range.

The trip to Tenby was successful. Chuck has a new pair of boots.

St Govans was an interesting stone hut. He lived about 630 to 640. The hut is about 74 steps down the cliff face.

The Castlemartin range near the hut was open today. We did not wish to repeat the walk to Freshwater West.

After 20 minutes at the hut Michael drove us back to Pembroke. Tomorrow no shuttle is required but at the end of the day Sunday and again Monday morning, he will again provide transfer.

Back in Pembroke, We all walked down to the Pembroke Castle. Gary treated us to entry tickets. We happened to be just in time for the 12 o'clock guided tour. Our guide, a retired history teacher, gave a great 75 minute tour of the castle grounds. This is a very large castle with more history about the house of Tudor and William Marshall than I ever knew. William Marshall is the first signature of a Baron on The Magma Carta. We visited this historic park on the Thames Path walk.

Chuck and I returned to the Coach House and our room after visiting a couple of rooms in the castle.

In the center of the castle open grounds is a giant map of Wales showing the Welsh and Norman Castles. The photo has them color coded. Red for Welsh and yellow for Normans.




Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement



22nd July 2023

Very interesting day
You see things on a hike that most of us never get to see. Keep it up Harlan!

Tot: 0.045s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 32; dbt: 0.0214s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb