Pembrokeshire Coastal Path - Freshwater West to Angle Bay


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » Wales » Pembrokeshire » Pembroke
July 19th 2023
Published: July 19th 2023
Edit Blog Post

Wednesday 19 July 2023, Pembrokeshire Coastal Path (PCP) from Freshwater West beach to Angle Bay. Day 5

Alltrails app: 5 hours 31 minutes walking, 8.87 miles, 810 feet elevation gain

Started walking about 0945. Picked up be Michael about 1530

Garmin forerunner 25: 5 hours 32 minutes, 9.09 miles, 686 feet elevation gain.

After another great breakfast at Porclew House, we bid farewell and paid for our lunches. Michael, our taxi shuttle service driver, was right on schedule for 0900 transfer to Freshwater West and the start of the days hike to Angle Bay.

What looks like an artesian spring was bubbling around some rocks at the high point on the beach. Leaving the beach we started the first of about seven relatively steep up and down features of today's trail.

The views of the sea and the terrain were lovely. The mostly sunny weather made for a good day of walking. We encountered only a few other hikers moving the opposite direction. At one point a bench allowed us to stop for a rest and look back along the coastline. Sheep, cattle, a billy goat and three horses were our animals today.

A family whose farm adjoins the trail and coastline were out for the view. Their son who lives in New Jersey was visiting with his family. They were watching some seals far below in the surf.

We found a grassy hillside to stop and eat our sandwiches and sack lunch. The skyline, inland, for most of this stage is dominated by the Valero oil refinery. Several ships and the Ireland Ferry passed in the pembroke channel to the dock or refinery.

When we finished our walk at the Iberian Inn we noted it did not open until 1600. But Michael had sent a message that he was available earlier and was nearly there. We had less than 10 minutes to wait before our 25 minute ride transferring us to the Coach House Hotel in Pembroke.

Dinner was at the hotel. We are here for the next three nights. The menu and food was excellent






Additional photos below
Photos: 25, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.079s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 10; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0195s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb