Last Day in Wales - a little bit of sun and lots of rain


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » Wales » Ceredigion » Aberystwyth
July 5th 2007
Published: July 5th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Good Evening from rainy Wales,
Though it has been a constant downpour since about 1 p.m. we had a fabulous morning and actually saw sun for almost 1 sustained hour. Absolutely fantastic - except it made the gray and cold that came later even grayer, by comparison. Oh well.

Because there was not rain early in the day, we headed about 8 miles away to a train station - one of the 'Great Little Trains of Wales' and traveled an hour in an old narrow gauge steam engine train up the mountain. What a wonderful time we had. Then we got out at the end and walked along a beautiful forest path with gushes of water (I wonder why) and some breathtaking waterfalls. It was a lovely way to remember Wales - and Lee had a chance NOT to drive on the narrow roads for a change and could just admire the scenery.

Tonight we'll have dinner at the pub here and then start packing. In the morning we'll leave early and head for south Wales and the Pembroke ferryport where we'll drop off the car and get on the ferry to Rosslare, Ireland. We're staying in a bed and breakfast near the harbor (The Morgan at Tagoat) and then will hopefully be able to rent a car and head through the southern part of Ireland. We've had some great advice from a longtime Irish b and b owner (sadly, he didn't have a room at his place) about where we should travel. He called me daft for a couple of my choices and instead redirected us to "the best parts of south Ireland." We plan on taking his experienced word over the travel brochures I have! From Sat through Tuesday we hope to hit some highlights of Kilkerry, Kilarney, Ring of Kerry, Dingle Pennisula, Cliffs of Moher, and Galway - with a castle and the blarney stone (yep, I'm doing that yucky toursity thing) thrown in. We're very excited - and just pray that the steady rain will stop so that we can dry out a touch. Not sure that's possible in Ireland.

Unsure of our internet connection possibilities, so we'll send our greetings and hope to connect before next Wed. If we can't, be well, have fun, and we'll recap next week. While we have loved our trip, we realize how much we miss and enjoy our family and friends - and warm weather.

I am thinking we may be home in time to see the Wimbledon finals - if the rains keep up in s. London.

Love you,
Geri and Lee, Mom and Dad

Advertisement



Tot: 0.064s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0402s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb