Good Luck Will Come Your Way - I Kissed the Blarney Stone for All


Advertisement
Ireland's flag
Europe » Ireland » County Kerry » Killarney
July 7th 2007
Published: July 7th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Dear Family and Friends,
I have so much to write, but I need to keep it at a minimum for now (you are probably breathing a sigh of relief) as we have moved into a bed and breakfast in Killarney and were told that it had internet access - only to find out that they don't but they did kindly offer me their personal computer. So, I'm sitting in a tiny closet (pantry-like) in their kitchen trying to type quickly.

We left Wales in the rain (what's new) but had a good trip from our timeshare to the dock at Pembroke. Traveling through the middle and south of Wales we saw less steep slopes and more rolling hills and then got to the water/port. Very pretty along the coast. We turned in the car and then went to a lovely pub along the water for lunch/dinner. The ferry to Ireland was to leave at 2:30 but due to horrible weather and rough seas the previous 24 hours, they were very behind, so we didn't get underway until after 4. Quite an interesting experience - more like a cruise ship than a ferry, that's for sure. We watched some Wimbledon, had a drink, read, and I even took a nap. Arrived at 8:30 and then the fun began because there were no buses at Rosslare after 8:15 and taxis were very scarce. A lovely woman suggested we call the bed and breakfast and sure enough, the owner came down to get us. Lots of stories about where we stayed, but the folks could not have been nicer and more generous. The room was more like a hotel room - European small but with our own bath. There were four b and b rooms above what would be like our 7-11 - and all purpose corner store and takeout without the gas but with a restaurant on the side. Slept pretty well, then up for a full breakfast of our chosing. Had gotten the name of a lady who worked for Budget rentals, called her, and she came to pick us up and rent us a car (horribly expensive - would make a glass eye weep). I'll be working another year.

On the road about 11:30. First stop Waterford Crystal - we weren't going to do that but the small ferry crossing south of Waterford would not have been too exciting - it was raining so hard we could hardly see. Ran into the center and thankfully found a tourist information centre that would book b and b's ahead of time. I had carefully reviewed the b and b's and had selected four near the area we wanted to tour from in Killarney and those with internet access. Ok, we got 50%. On to Blarney, just north of Cork. Sun was in and out, which meant rain was off and on. Roads wider than in Wales so Dad/Lee in his manual transmission Ford Fiesta zoomed right along. He is a good driver. Stopped at Blarney Castle - the sun came out, we climbed the narrow stairs to the top, and I kissed the stone (me and a million others of my best friends). Lee didn't do it, but he did take a photo and of course the professional photographer was there to take the BEST photo and charge wedding photo prices. Oh well - I bought the good one and off we went. Got lost in Killarney trying to find b and b but once again a wonderfully generous person not only helped us with directions but used her cell phone to call and confirm. We're here, we're somewhat settled, and we hit the local pubs tonight! Tomorrow it's the Ring of Kerry and Monday it's the Dingle Pennisula and then on to Cliffs of Moher and Gallway. This is fun.

We miss all of you very much and are ready to come home. We certainly have plans to enjoy Ireland as much as possible, however!

Well, I lied about the length of this message. Just wanted you to know what we're up to and of course, I want you to know how much we think about you.

Janie M - there were no fewer than 8 wedding photo shoots at the Blarney Castle today. Thought of you and Bo and hope you had a great day.

Happy 7-7-7 Things can only be lucky for all of us.

Love to all, Geri and Lee/Mom and Dad

Advertisement



Tot: 0.072s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0505s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb