Greetings from The National Library of Wales


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » Wales » Ceredigion » Aberystwyth
July 3rd 2007
Published: July 3rd 2007
Edit Blog Post

Good Morning, Dear Family and Friends,
I'm sitting in the north reading room of the National Library of Wales in the town of Abersystwyth, about 18 miles from our resort. This is a coastal town and there is blue sky over the ocean - a sky color we have not seen in 10 days. Trouble is, as it moves over land, it becomes gray and we experience rain in all its forms - drizzle, just a few drops, downpour, sheets - amazingly wet and quite chilly. The choice is to be grumpy or get on with it, and we have thrown on our jackets, put up the umbrellas, and have begun to explore this unusual and beautiful country. Lee has mastered the roads and the signs - basically drive on the left, look to your right, and hug your side because the roads are NARROW! and they twist and turn. The steep slopes on either side make a wider road almost impossible, and at times, we just hug the non-existent shoulder tighter so that an oncoming car or RV (there are all kinds of RVs here) can pass Certainly keeps one from drinking!

There is so much to share, but I need to use this venue as I cannot reply or even compose an email from these terminals. I can read e-mails, however. I so hope all is well with all of you. Would love to hear what you are up to and how things are there.

As you can imagine, the news is filled with updates and details of the failed bombings and all of the arrests. Even in quiet Wales security is at high alert. To get into this building was quite an ordeal, actually. We feel safe, but the entire UK is truly shaken with the fact that some of those involved are physicians. It has changed the perception of who terrorists are - young, uneducated, less intelligent radicals who can easily be brainwashed to kill themselves while killing others in the name of some cause. The fact that this particular terrorist cell is composed of so many intelligent people and that they have infiltrated the sacred and highly respected world of healthcare really has shaken folks to the core.

Wimbledon has been rained out so badly that no one knows how it will all be made up in time for Sunday. Most are speculating the finals won't be until mid-week next week.

The Princes' concert in honor of their mother, Diana, was an amazing variety of talent - and of course shown completely on tv. We watched quite a bit of it on Sunday night.

Yesterday was a trip to north Wales where we went through a castle built in the late 1200's. Absolutely amazing to hear the history and climb the MANY narrow stairs in several of the turrets. The inside of the castle is open - and thankfully - it didn't rain while we were there, so we had a great visit. We also stopped and toured the litte seaside village of Portmerion - home of the makers of the flowered dishes we have in the kitchen at home. That was a treat. Also stopped at a couple other places even further north, including the railway station with the longest name in the world. What fun. Then we drove home along the coast and saw a very churned up and cold-looking Atlantic Ocean. We are sad for the businesses that make their living with summer tourists - no beachcombers this year. We watched some photos from last summer at this time - people were lying on the beach in droves trying to cool off. My one pair of jeans and one sweatshirt are now glued to my body as I wear them every day. Thank goodness for tennis shoes.

Will try to write more tomorrow from another library and see if I can attach photos. We really are having a grand time, but have to overcome the drudgery of bad weather.

Love to all of you. Write when you can - it is a little lonely not keeping up with news from home.

Love, Mom and Dad, Lee and Geri

Advertisement



Tot: 0.066s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0414s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb