Falkirk to Aviemore


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » Scotland
June 22nd 2011
Published: June 23rd 2011
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


Falkirk to Aviemore



The National Wallace Monument could be seen from miles away – a striking landmark to commemorate Sir William Wallace a martyr Scotsman who was pivotal in defending his homeland and led the War of Scottish Independence, defeating the English army at the Battle of Stirling in 1297.
Further along the country roads of the Scottish Lowlands we came across St Andrews, famous for its links golf-course consisting of 99 holes. It is thought golf originated here around 600 years ago when a shepherd turned his crook upside down to knock a ball of sheep’s wool into a hole. So many years later – people still find this social and competitive sport entertaining!
We had a quick look inside St Andrews’ University where Prince William met his new bride Catherine Middleton. We found many students in graduation gowns, being awarded for completing their degrees, we decided to cut our visit short and sneaked a peak of St Salvator’s Chapel as well as the central grounds.
Passing through Dundee, we briefly saw the Royal research ship ‘Discovery’. This vessel was launched in 1901, and has assisted in scientific research and exploration of both Australia and New Zealand.
Continuing via Pitlochry to Blaire Castle- the home of Duke of Atholl (the only man in Britain to have a private army). The white castle was held within the green hills of Scotland, and being a working-castle, was filled with many personal possessions as well as hundreds of weapons and prizes from hunting expeditions on display in the great hall.
In the grounds were magnificent gardens with a lovely stream passing under a stone-bridge or two and nearby we sighted a great beast with a hairstyle and horns not to be messed with.
After a short drive we arrived at our accommodation for the evening- Aviemore Inn where we enjoyed a 3-course dinner and an early night into bed!



Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement



Tot: 0.323s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 56; dbt: 0.0777s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb