Edinburgh


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » Scotland
June 21st 2011
Published: June 22nd 2011
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


Edinburgh



The morning was spent on a tour of Edinburgh, followed by some free time for sightseeing of the town. We started in by taking the Royal Mile towards Holyrood House where many of the Scottish Monarch lived in the summer months before moving to higher (and warmer) ground at Edinburgh Castle in winter. Along our way we noticed ‘The Worlds’End’, an alley-way (close) along the Royal Mile adjacent a pub. Apparently in the 16th century the city of Edinburgh was walled off from the outside world, with the only gate being located outside the pub. As far as the people of Edinburgh were concerned, outside the gates was considered the end of their world!
What would a visit to Edinburgh be without a visit to Scotland’s famous Edinburgh Castle? It was here that Mary Queen of Scots (Daughter of King James V of Scotland) gave birth to James VI & I – who later became the first monarch to reign over three countries England, Scotland and Ireland.
The Scottish Jewels were on display at the castle – the royal crown, sceptre and sword. The crown was absolutely stunning and was made of Scottish gold, ornamented with gemstones
Holyrood HouseHolyrood HouseHolyrood House

Official residence of the Royal monarch
including diamonds, garnets, amethysts, quartz and some large oriental pearls.
After taking in some of the incredible history Scots had to offer, we checked out the shops – Sheree even tried on a more traditional dress, with the shopkeepers commenting on her appearance being very similar to their much loved royal Queen Mary.
The evening offered a fantastic Scottish dinner show where the tour group enjoyed the singing, highland dancing as well as a great accordionist and bagpiper playing at Prestonfield. We tried Scotland’s national dish- Haggis, and had a great time drinking to celebrate our evening in Edinburgh.



Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement

HaggisHaggis
Haggis

A traditional Scottish meal containing sheep's heart, liver and lungs, minced with onion, oatmeal, suet, spices and salt, then mixed with a stock.mmm just like Shepherd's pie!


22nd June 2011

Hello from Deniliquin
Hi Lachie and Sheree, Its sounds like a great time is being had, we loved Scotland,we stayed at the St George's Hotel in Edindurgh.Tomorrow we go to Barham to the Jazz Festival 23rd and come home on Monday 27th, we are looking forward to it.Your photos are terrific, Sheree you looked great in that dress.Take Care Lots of Love Nana xxxx
23rd June 2011

The Royal Mile .
That dress looked great on you Sheree. Did Lachie venture into a kilt ? Thanks for the very good account of your travel. Love - Grandma and Grandpa.
1st July 2011

Hi from Albury
Keep the great pictures & details of your trip coming. You're doing a top job. Thanks heaps. Enjoy!! Love Mum T xx

Tot: 0.296s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 61; dbt: 0.0649s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb