Leeds to Airth Castle near Falkirk


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » Scotland
June 20th 2011
Published: June 21st 2011
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


Leeds to Airth Castle near Falkirk



The Day started with a visit to York (originally a fortress built by Romans in 1871) – with an incredible minster surrounded by a large city wall of stone. The minster (the largest medieval structure in the United Kingdom, was constructed from 1220) There were many intricate architectural designs with the building , including figures of monarchs as well as brass brail map of the town of York, located just outside the minster. Only a short walk away were the ‘Shambles’- an ancient street of the butchers of York, most of these buildings dating from the 1400’s and composed of wooden support beams that have somehow survived over such a long duration of time!
On our journey north we briefly observed a small segment of Hadrian’s Wall – erected by Romans to separate the southern land Brittania (England) from the dense forests of northern land of Caledonia (Scotland). As we passed the English/Scottish border, a bagpiper in his Tartan kilt welcomed us into his homeland before we set off to our accommodation for the evening.
In the region of Falkirk, we found the 14th century Airth Castle which was our hotel for a couple of nights. Located on 14 acres of woodland and landscaped gardens we enjoyed the relaxation at one of Scotland’s exclusive country retreats!



Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement



Tot: 0.297s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 58; dbt: 0.0652s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb