London to Leeds


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom
June 20th 2011
Published: June 21st 2011
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


London to Leeds



Trafalgar Tour of England and Ireland Explorer

An early start to the day, we joined our Trafalgar tour of England, Scotland, Ireland and Wales –at our accommodation in London. 43 of us in total, with majority Australians or Americans.
Heading north through the Cotswold villages, we arrived at our first stop for the day- the cottage of William Shakespear’s wife, Anne Hathaway. This cute thatched cottage was nearby the town centre of Stratford-Upon-Avon, also Shakespear’s birthplace.
We enjoyed a pub meal and a pint of warm beer – trying our best to sample local beverages, but secretly hoping the next pub we go to will serve a nice chilled ale instead!
After lunch the tour led us to the ruins of St Michael’s Cathedral in Coventry. Our guide told us of the locals who, after a night of heavy bombings in the Second World War had attended the Church for service on a Sunday to find the remains destruction and fire within the Church from the bombs. Residents continued with their service, making a temporary cross made from smouldering timber in the rubble, a cross that still stands in the ruined Cathedral today.
From here we visited the crooked spire of Chesterfield Parish Church. Interestingly, the spire has been twisted by a massive lightning bolt that struck the lead-steeple over 100 years ago!
The Jury Inn was our accommodation for the evening in Leeds, where we enjoyed dinner with our tour group and director.



Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



21st June 2011

Hello from Deniliquin
Hi Glad to hear you have got underway on your tour, it will be very interesting to us to see if you go to the same places as we went to. Our tour finished the way you are going as Stratford-Up-Avon was on our way back to London. I hope the weather is better then here its very very cold. Take Care lots of Love Nana xxxx

Tot: 0.524s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 11; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0424s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb