Exploring the Scottish Highlands


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » Scotland
June 23rd 2011
Published: June 23rd 2011
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


Exploring the Scottish Highlands



The weather forecast has not been too favourable the past few days, and so we set off early for the Isle of Skye.
First stop was at Carr-Bridge where we came across an old pack-horse bridge crossing built in 1717 for the convenience of travellers and local people wanting to cross the River Dulnain – thought of mostly as a ‘coffin crossing’ to transport the departed to the nearest church for burial.
From here the tour guide took us to the battlefields of Culloden, a pivotal moment in Scottish history where Jacobites unsuccessfully fought the English government army with the battle only lasting 45 minutes. This fight was all in the name of Bonnie Prince Charlie – a catholic Royal Scotsman whos’ father was forced to abdicate his throne during the 1700’s. After their defeat, English government passed several laws with the goal of eradicating highland culture. Among these were the surrender of bagpipes and forbidden wearing of tartan and traditional dress.
Continuing towards the Isle of Skye we followed the banks of the beautiful Loch Ness- famous for its’mysterious monster.
On and on through the western highlands to Eilean Donan Castle, probably the most photographed castle in all of Scotland. Unfortunately due to bad weather and lack of time, we were unable to explore the castle walls, but the history remains amazing as the castle was built in 1214!

We crossed over the bridge to the Isle of Skye and spent a little time travelling around this unique Scottish Island, noticing the quaint cottages and some more ruins at Kyleakin.
It had been a long day, and we started heading back to our accommodation – stopping at a lookout on the hillside on the western coast of Scotland. We were greeted by three friendly horses whos’ busy noses explored the pockets and handbags of many people on our tour group!
Caledonian canal was our final stop before getting back to the hotel. Here in the town of Fort Augstus we were lucky enough to watch as a couple of small yachts passed through the locks on their journey south. The canal consists of 28 locks, 170-180 ft long and 25 ft deep – allowing vessels to cross the otherwise hazardous waters of the North.
Before meeting the tour group for dinner, a few of us sneaked off for a quick spa at the pool where we met a couple of Swedish professional golfers preparing for the next Masters tournament. Funnily enough – they LOVE Australia and played alongside Tiger Woods when he won the Australian Masters in 2009.
Thanks for your comments on our Blog – glad everyone is well and enjoying our notes of our trip!



Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



24th June 2011

Scottish Highlands
Hello there ! Your adventures have brought back happy memories. We have Scottish ancestors who came from that area. The Stewarts of Appin. We spent a night on Skye at Flodigarry. No bridge then. Only a small ferry. Keep up the good work. Love. J and G.
27th June 2011
Loch Ness

Hello From Deniliquin
Hi Lachie and Sheree,all your stories and photos are very interesting, and its good to know where you are sounds like you are both having a good time.We have been to Barham for four night at the Jazz Festival, we stayed at the motel across the road from the Club, the music was great. Its been beautiful weather here, but very cold at night. Take Care Love Nana xxx

Tot: 0.295s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 7; qc: 60; dbt: 0.0715s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb