Scotland - Portree to Gairloch


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » Scotland
May 11th 2011
Published: May 13th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Tuesday 10th May 2011 Portree to Gairloch 124 miles......................
Wet and windy is an understatement. The rain was lashing down and the wind was blowing a gale!! I know I am prone to exaggeration but it was really pretty bad! We decided to hole up in the campsite for a few hours as it does seem that the weather up here starts bad in the morning and slowly clears up through the day with the best weather about 5.00pm when the sun appears to be at its highest? It also stays light now until about 10.00pm.
We set off about 11.30am and true enough the weather started breaking with glimpses of the sun through the showers that were passing through at a rate of knots!! The ground is absolutely sodden and the water is pouring down the mountains in streams, sometimes torrents creating magnificent waterfalls. Stopped to take a few photos and managed to get drenched so gave up on that!
By the time we reached Eilean Donan castle, Scotlands most romantic and photographed castle, the rain had stopped but unfortunately and disappointingly, no sun! We toured the castle which has loads of history and fighting among the different Clans over the Centuries and it remained a ruin for 200 years before it was restored in the early 1900’s by the current Clan owners.
We then took the A890 which took us high above Loch Cannon and into some quite dramatic scenery, with rugged mountains and Scots Pine forests. We followed Glen Carron and the train line to Achnasheen where we decided to take the scenic coastal route (Wester Ross) along Loch Marree towards Ullapool as the weather had by now brightened up a bit.
Stopped about 6.30pm at Gairloch campsite as Chris was hoping to watch the new series of The Apprentice. Unfortunately we only had ITV and no BBC!!! Que sera! And its raining again and still windy!!


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

Skye BridgeSkye Bridge
Skye Bridge

Joins Skye to mainland
Eilean Donan castle!Eilean Donan castle!
Eilean Donan castle!

As it should have looked!
Eilean Donan CastleEilean Donan Castle
Eilean Donan Castle

As we saw it!


Tot: 1.138s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 9; qc: 67; dbt: 0.694s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb