Scotland - Isle of Mull to Fort William


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » Scotland
May 7th 2011
Published: May 10th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Saturday 7th May 2011 Isle of Mull to Fort William 59 miles......................
Rained quite heavily overnight and although the sun was sort of shining in the morning, it was fairly obvious that further rain was imminent! We drove to Tobermory and had a walk around before catching the ferry for the 45 minute crossing back to the mainland.
The rain had stopped and the sun was just trying to come through as we drove off the ferry and we followed the pot holed C road, single track with passing places, along the loch. It was a renowned wildlife area so we kept our eyes open for sea eagles and otters but only saw a flock of sand martins that were nesting in holes in a sand bank! Also saw another group of fifteen or so seals flabbing about on a rock!
Had to catch another ferry for the short hop across the loch so that we could drive to Fort William where we camped for the night in Glen Nevis below Ben Nevis which still has a bit of snow on it! Also managed to get wifi in a pub and a helpful person in the Redcat shop explained that our dongle would only work in Inverness as the vodaphone network is no good anywhere else! No idea when we will next have chance to update blog. Inverness maybe!!!
Had a good evening! Took advantage of a local restaurant and had a meal and then walked along the river to the Ben Nevis path and decided to walk up a little way but after about 20 minutes we noticed a renovated barn that had been turned into a pub....so that’s where we ended up!! When walking back to the campsite we got talking to a couple who had been to the summit of Ben Nevis. This was very impressive as she also had a bad knee but had done it to raise funds for her daughter, who is a school teacher and was going to set a school up in Africa.


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement



Tot: 0.049s; Tpl: 0.025s; cc: 10; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0162s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb