Becki and Nanci’s European Adventure


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » Scotland
October 5th 2023
Published: October 8th 2023
Edit Blog Post

We arrived in the Edinburgh Airport right on time. We asked for a wheelchair for Nanci as we thought it would be so much easier for her to get through the airport. The mobility assist people were waiting for us. The only problem they wait together for all those passengers needing mobility assistance whether us 2 or 20 and they move them together. So that means waiting, and waiting, and waiting.

As people were getting off on he plane and heading to border control the lines were getting longer and longer. I did notice that they seemed to be moving very fast, though. However no worries for us…the mobility assist people took us right through to an empty line and we were through in less than 5 minutes!!

Our mobility assistants were excellent. One pushed the wheel chair and the other one handled all our luggage. Thevwalked us right out to the taxi stand, signed us up for a taxi, and even helped us in the van. They were just delightful and very appreciated!!

Our taxi driver was outstanding. He was like a tour guide telling us about all the sites we were passing., sharing his favorite restaurants, and marking suggestions about “not to miss” sites. Those always include the Castle and the Royal Mile, both of which were on our list.

Of course our hotel room wasn’t ready as we arrived at the hotel early. So we left our bags and headed out walking toward Edinburgh Castle. We were staying at the Doubletree Hotel City Center which is about 2 blocks from the first real view of the Edinburgh Castle. The Doubletree actually has some rooms that have a view of the Castle, but we learned that ours did not.

The area with the great view is called Grassmarket. It’s one of the most famous areas in the old town part of the city. It’s very picturesque with medieval architecture, shops, eateries, and pubs lining the cobblestone streets. The view of the Castle from there is awesome! The castle is built high on a hill of lava rock.

Down in the Grassmarket is a stone building housing a pub. It has beautiful flowers climbing the walls and then the castle sits on the kava rock above. Of course I noticed it because the flowers are purple, but they are fake! Lots of pubs around the UK are beautifully decorated with fake flowers….a few have real ones! This does off the most beautiful view of the castle.

The Grassmarket has its dark sided history also. Maggie Dickson, aka Half Hangit Maggie, was hanged for trying to conceal her pregnancy. As they were taking her for burial, those carrying the casket heard noises, opened the casket, and found Mary alive. Because they thought it was Gods will that Mary escaped death, she was allowed to live! There’s a pub to honor her story!

Another pub nearby was called The Last Drop and it didn’t mean Maxwell House. The Grassmarket was the site of public hangings in the 18th century. Rumor has it that men, who were sentenced to hang, were taken there for their last meal. The light fixtures were made out of a hangman’s noose. Really a gruesome idea.

When you get to the end of the grass market area, you turn onto Victoria Street. Victoria Street is said to be where J. K. ROWLING got her idea for Diagon Street in the Harry Potter books and movies. There’s even a Harry Potter shop on that street. The street curves around and it’s full of colorful store, fronts, souvenir shops, and high-end clothing stores filled with beautiful, beautiful wool suits and clothing pieces. every other building seem to be a place to eat, and it had every food imaginable. One even had a cooked hog, laying in a trough in the window and you could stand and watch people pick out the meat and chop it up for pork sandwiches. The place was called Pig!

At the top of Victoria Street, you turn onto what is known as the Royal Mile, so named, because at the top of the hill is a Edinburgh Castle, and at the bottom of the hill is Holyrood Palace. It’s actually made up of five streets: Canongate, Castle Hill, Lawnmarket, High Street, and Abbey Strand. Every building is a shop of a place to eat!! Can’t wait to spend time looking around.

By now We were hungry so we headed off to Greyfriars Bobby Pub. If you’ve followed any of my earlier blogs you know I love this pub. The food is great, but I especially love the story behind the little dog, a Skye terrier, named Bobby.

Bobby’s owner was John Gray, who worked for the Edinburgh City Police as a Night Watchman. When John Gray died in 1858, legend has it that Bobby faithfully watched over his grave every night and from then on his licence and collar was paid for by the Lord Provost , Sir William Chambers. When the little dog died in 1872 he was buried alongside his master in the Greyfriars Kirkyard. Queen Victoria visited their graves and outside the bar you will find a fountain and bronze statue of Bobby erected in 1873.

We had a great meal there, then headed back toward our hotel



Additional photos below
Photos: 19, Displayed: 19


Advertisement



Tot: 0.494s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 11; qc: 52; dbt: 0.081s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb